hows this computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Sep 3, 2008.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Prices include vat and for reference 1 GBP = 1.77 USD.
    I want quad core as I will be doing lots at one time - virtualizing Windows in Ubuntu for lots of poker & datamining, music, Firefox and the lot open, and the CPU will all the while be taking care of a software raid. I also will be frequently compiling stuff but there's no single big power hungry apps I will be using that are/aren't multi-threaded. I'm hoping the fact that there's a lot of different processes going on they will use my cores. I also want to overclock this to maybe 2.6 or 2.8 Ghz but I'm not depending on anything too hardcore, just something safe that gives me better bang for my buck. I don't imagine I'll be deprived of speed.

Then the motherboard. I want integrated Intel IGP as their Xorg drivers (discounting manufacturer binaries) are ahead of the rest of the pack. I don't game at all and just want basic 3d that I'll never need to fuck with. There was a Supermicro C2SEA board I was considering but I can't find it in any of the stores I use (it supports DDR3 which would be nice to upgrade to in 4 years to give me something). So here's what I'm looking at:
    Will that be good enough for basic overclocking?

Now I dunno if I should be going for 1066 or 800 RAM and what timings, so I was just gonna get this:
    There is Corsair "Dominator" RAM for an extra 7 quid, but I have no idea if that's worth it? Better for overclocking I'm guessing, but will I need it?
    Hell do I even need 1066 RAM? Or should I go with 800, considering my mobo?

That's all for now. Thanks.