GUN How's that AK Reliability???

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Oct 26, 2009.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i don't know why people go all crazy over this shit. both are machines that can and do fail.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

except u can fix the AK in the field. The AR not so much

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Did you watch the videos? Cause the AR gets fixed much faster and easily than the AK does.

And for those that think the AK used was inferior, done again with same results with a Bulgarian AK 74. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRRUuXyspT0

And I dont really care either way, just thought it interesting since everyone seems to try to ram down AR people's throats how reliable the AK is and how shitty the AR is.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:hsugh: watch the videos and let me know which would be easier to fix in the field.

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

always just heard that every other weapon in the AK's class could have so many irreparable problems happen in the field

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

and i'll still take an AK... chambered in 5.45

sweetest shooting rifle ever

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

this video might make you change your mind about what you've "heard" :)
    thats the one you posted pics of :wavey:

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i totally TOTALLLYYYY regret not buying one. few years ago i bought my first handgun after turning 21. at the show, i found a guy selling brand new AK's in 5.45 for $300 a piece. I called my dad and he wanted one. I should have bought one for myself :wtc:

he buys 1,000 rounds all the time imported. and he owns like 10 30rnd mags which were like $10/piece :rofl:

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

fuck.

i bought my PARTS KIT for like $345

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Who would have thought putting gravel and sand into the receiver, inhibiting the path of the carrier, would stop an AK :rofl:

The AR got a handful of dust onto a small portion of the carrier, no shit it still works.

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Ummm, both guns were treated the same. Both were buried in the dirt and then tested. No special care given to the AR or extra dirt to the AK. I'd say that the AR most definitely got the worst of the abuse in the second video.

But hey, what do I care. Shoot what you like and enjoy it. :)

13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

where is joe cool? i'l sure he'll have something negative to say about the AR video

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

it was the loose tolerances of the AK which everyone praises for it's reliability that allowed all that shit to get inside the receiver and ultimately cause it to fail.

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I've had fucked up AK's fuck up just as much as fucked up AR's. Same/Same as far as I'm concerned.

These "torture test" videos crack me up.

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I know, but keesh made it sound like the just dusted the AR while shoveling dirt into the AK. Wasnt the case.

Anyway, I knew AK guys would fight till the bitter end, I dont really care, just thought it an interesting comparison and one of the first and only I've ever seen.

17. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

I do my best to ignore anyone who compares the AR and AK. I just assume they have no idea what they're talking about, because they usually don't.
    The AK and AR are two very different rifles built for two very different purposes.

18. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I shoot my AR more than any of my AKs. You can't put dirt and rocks into one receiver and not put it into the other and call it a fair test. The AKs safety covers up the gap between the receiver and the cover, they left it open.

19. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

They also left the AR dust cover open. Just like he talks about on Enos, it seems that when he closed the AR dust cover all the AK folks were up in arms because it wasnt getting any dirt in the action. Then he opens it, the gun still works and its not a real test, then he does it with the AK, it fails and now the dust cover should be closed on the AK.

There really isnt any way to do a fair test I guess till the AK works just fine while the AR lives up to its supposed shittyness.

20. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

i hope he cleans off his deflector before posting in a pic thread

21. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

ak in 5.45 or x39 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ak in 223

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

First off, why would you not safe a hot rifle when burying it? The same amount of carrier would be exposed if you put the AK on safe, as with the AR dust cover open.

I've put enough rounds through both firearms in semi and full-auto to see malfunctions happen on both, with no dirt involved. I've seen it happen on so called 'top-tier' ARs and AKs.

The test just seems so stupid and proves nothing, no shit it's going to jam if you put foreign material inside the receiver of either one of them. It's like arguing the AK is better because it can run without lube for 5000 rounds whereas the AR can't. Finding a single point where one excels hardly qualifies one to be better than the other.

23. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Looks to me that the "dirt" he poured on the AR was much finer and didn't have fucking rocks, the "dirt" he poured on the AK was full of rocks.

24. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Most AKs that I've actually seen being fired where huge pieces of shit. This has nothing to do with design. A $300 ak made from stamped steel by some guy in a mud hut isn't going to be as consistent as a $2000 rifle made by a bunch of anal retentive engineers and a CNC machine. Reliability has as much to do with how something is manufactured as it does how it is designed.

An AR put together by a retard in his basement may jam after every shot. A good AK with good ammo may work every time. Who gives a fuck?

25. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

They are horribley inaccurate, from its neck slope to its off center bolt