MIL How's Hawaii?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by aftershock-, Jan 23, 2007.

1. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

So I got forced to speak with the monitor and he offered to send me and my wife to Hawaii if I reenlisted. anybody been to K-bay or Camp smith? I hear the cost of living is very expensive there. what would you guys do? :hs:

2. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

they give you more money for BAH if you're stationed in an area where the cost of living is higher than normal.

you can afford it.

3. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

its good for a vacation not for a station, thats what i say, unless you are a surfer it gets old fast

4. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

ya thats what i keep hearing. thanks for the input

5. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

I was stationed in Pearl for 3 years. It's a beautiful place, lots of things to do, but the fact that you're on an island does in fact get to you after a while. You realize that anytime you wanna come back to the mainland it's a full blown vacation and not to cheap either, especially since you said wife so that would indicate family.

Island hoppers are cool as shit, you can get on a plane early in the morning and fly to one of the other islands for under 50 bucks (at least when I was there in the 90's) and then come back later that day/evening for another sub 50 ticket. So it's a great way to see some of the other islands if you're up for it.

Learning to surf or SCUBA dive is a good idea as you'll never find some better spots to do either and you can do both pretty much year round. Hiking, snorkeling, camping, etc etc are all great out there.

As for prices, yeah stuff can get expensive so stick to the commisary or exchange when you can. There's plenty of malls and all the normal shops you'd find here in the Mainland.

All I can say is take the trip and enjoy it, I did. I wish I could go back sometimes.

Also, for certain things Hawaii is considered an Over seas duty station even though it's still in the US. So consider that as well.

6. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

Oh man I'd love to go there. ;)

7. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

As with anywhere, it is what you make of it. I loved K-Bay, but the hubby (service member) hated it!

8. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

yea sometimes i think id enjoy it better if i had a different job, but i have done just about everything i can in the 2+ years ive been here...there are multiple reasons why i dont want to stay, and there are a bunch of things that i will miss when im gone for sure...its definitly time to go though...1 year here would have been great

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You should go. Experience it for yourself and make your own determinations.

10. Dzl

Dzl New Member

I'll be there in May.

11. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

I work at Camp Smith. Great place to work but parking sucks. That's why I ride my motorcycle to work everyday.

Hawaii's cost of living is high but you will be compensated with BAH, COLA and BAS. Utilizing the base commissary and BX will help keep your cost of living down a smidge.

Does your wife plan on working? I'd recommend it. 2 incomes are always better than one here.

Anyway, if you have any other questions, drop me a pm or note.

12. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

Yes the BAH is about 1700 per month for e-4 and below with spouse. It is pretty fun as long as you get out and do stuff. If i had a choice of either place i would say camp smith. That way you will not have to be stuck on the windward side.

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Fuck re-up'ing

14. Ry1400

Ry1400 New Member

its a 4 year tour for the USCG.

same with all the other branches?

15. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

out of curiousity, in case i do get orders to hawaii, does anyone know if they still make you quarantine dogs? and if so for how long and how they do it
    :hs: its why i dont want to go to hawaii

16. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

when I was there in the 90's I beleive it was 90 days.

I highly doubt it's changed. Due to Hawaii being such a small and confined ecosystem they take no risks with introducing new animals into their ecosystem. You will be quarantining your animal.

17. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

f you would like to have a pet when you move to Hawaii please note that there are restrictions on what animals can be brought to Hawaii. Dogs and cats brought into Hawaii will either spend 120 days in confinement in the Hawaii state quarantine or can have a electronic microchip implanted 120 days prior to arrival in Hawaii and spend 5-24 days in quarantine. Regular fees are $1,080 for the standard 120-day quarantine and $165-$224 for pets that qualify for the 5-24 day quarantine. Some birds are prohibited from entering Hawaii, some require quarantine, and some can obtain a health certificate and be quarantined in the home. All snakes, some lizards, some frogs and some other exotic animals that are kept as pets are prohibited from entering Hawaii due to the damage they can inflict on the fragile Hawaiian ecosystem if they escape.

http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm

18. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

army is a 3 year tour

19. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

meh well ive pretty much decided on getting out. thanks for all the advice though