howling sound from 97 integra

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dem_bones, Dec 31, 2008.

1. dem_bones

dem_bones I was saying boo-urns.

About a week ago I noticed my 97 integra started making a howing noise. It sounds like around the front passenger side wheel. I don't know if this is relevant, but it's was snowing quite a bit and I basically plowing snow with my car b/c the snow was too high. The faster I drive the faster and louder the sound gets. Is this just from my tires or is this something mechanical. I'll be calling the mechanic next week, but I'd like to have an idea of what it could be.

2. Mr3GTP

Mr3GTP OT Supporter

Is a bunch of snow/ice built up in the wheel well? Is the tire properly inflated? Lugs tight?

If all the above items are in order, does the sound change while moving as you steer side-to-side? If so, sounds like a wheel bearing.

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

You might try jacking your front end up and having the front wheels spin. If it's still howling away with no resistance you may have a wheel bearing issue.

It's also possible you've got ice and snow messing with your brake parts, caliper might be sticking, etc.

4. dem_bones

dem_bones I was saying boo-urns.

Cool. Thanks guys! I'll jack up my car tomorrow and check the those things. I have a feeling it's the bearings.

5. hawtteg

hawtteg New Member

jack the car up safely, grab the top and bottom of the wheel at 12oclock and 6oclock and wiggle the wheel, then grab the wheel at 3oclock and 9 and see if there is play there, if there is then it's a wheel bearing.

what are the condition of the brakes? could be a seized caliper aswell.

6. lol wut

lol wut OT Supporter

Wheel bearing or your wheels need to be balanced. Most likely it's the wheel bearing though.