MMA How'd you start training?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by >DRIVEN<, Apr 10, 2007.

1. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

Just kind of curious as to how you all started training. I've been watching MMA for quite a long time. I live in Coldwater, MI which is the home of Dan Severn. When I was about 13 or 14 I started hearing about him and heard what he did and started renting tapes from a video store for the very first UFC events, back in the good ol days with Shamrock, Gracie, Oleg Tektarov, etc.

I've rolled and boxed with some friends of mine over the last year occasionally but never really started training hard. I've lifted weights quite a bit and packed on some muscle and really want to start training regularly. Was there ever a time when you first started training that you just didn't want to get hit but did and just eventually got over the fear of it after being hit a few times?

Just looking for some advice or words of wisdom for a beginner. :wavey:

2. Kuet

Kuet New Member

yes GL mang, just find a place thats suitable for your schedule/price range..ect....work hard and the rest will take care of itself.

3. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

Thanks guys, appreciate the words and support.

I was honestly expecting posts like "quit being a pussy and just do it." :rofl:
    But I guess this is a little different crowd than the F & N forum. :bigthumb:

4. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

im just starting out as well, but basically a friend of mine started going to jujitsu so i decided to join him. the dojo offers muay thai training as well, so i started doing that a couple times a week. i did it for a month and had to stop because between school and work i had no time for it. now the semester is over and ill start back up this week.

another friend works at the school gym as a trainer so hes got keys to the gym and equipment. hes got a bit of grappling experience, so we put mats down and roll from time to time. weve got some 14 ounce gloves and spar, and our shin pads get here this week so well be able to kickbox a little too :bigthumb:

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

When I saw a commercial on tv for the only bjj blackbelt in michigan's dojo which was only 5 minutes away I had to check it out.

6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I wrestled in high school. Did pretty bad, put it behind me. Then some drunk douche in the street punched me. Didn't do any damage, but I saw it coming a mile away and just didn't react. I knew I had to start training something. Did Krav Maga and Muay Thai for a while till I ran outta moneys and time. Hoping to pick it up again once I finish up my degree.

As far as fear of getting punched. Yeah I was pretty scared at first. First time I sparred in Krav Maga I went up against a cop that outweighted me by 40 pounds. He had just sparred with another big guy and was pretty pumped, and didn't know I was a complete noob. Clocked me right in the temple with an overhand right. I didn't go down, but I couldn't move. I just stood there wincing and unable to control my facial muscles.

Next time I sparred was this black guy who was smaller but fast as hell. He wailed on me for a couple minutes while I burried my head between my shoulders. After that, I kinda got over my fear cause I realize as long as I kept my chin in, hands up and elbows in, it wasn't all that bad.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  7. aLove

aLove New Member

I took a contract in Los Angeles back in 2003, one of the websites we managed was gracieacademy.com and other of their sites.

We got free training, and I was doing privates twice a week as well as training 6 days out of the week.

Once that contract ended, I tried to stay in shape, but moving around was pretty hard, did alot of no gi whenever I could, moved back to South Florida, started lifting, hurt my back in 2005, and didn't get to start again till 2006. Been training now 3 months for my first MMA fight, May 12th.

Looking forward to it, I have the tools, and the drive, I see myself with my hands being raised in victory. I have the American Top Team logo down pat for my victory picture. :)

8. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

We had Tae Kwon Do as a college course when I went to USL. I took the two semesters to fulfill my PE requirement, and stuck around for another 2 years.

Then a couple years later, I found another TKD school that was a branch of the same school the USL program was a branch of. Trained for another 3 years there.

Then after moving away from that school, and not training for a couple years, and having the worst 10 months of my life, I decided I needed to get back into a MA class. But absolutely didn't want to be in a traditional stand up art. So I found a Ju Jitsu instrutor and took advantage of the free class. Haven't looked back since.

I'm approaching 36, and wish I'd found this stuff when I was 25.

9. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

just said "fuck it" one day and drove my ass to the one of the best gyms around. I regret that I didn't start sooner :(

10. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Same thing here.

11. Scream_Phoenix

i know exactly what you mean, when i was 5 i wanted to be a ninja :o through my teens i always wanted to take martial arts but things were a bit rough for my family and we had other stuff to worry about so i never got around to it. im 25 now and i wish id taken it up even when i started earning money on my own 8 years ago, but i know that in a couple years ill be glad i finally got started now :)

12. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Good shit broly, where do you train at? Are you still in Victoria? I've got a buddy that's moving back to victoria and he's looking for a place to train at.

As for me, I'm such a judo nuthugger because it put my life back on track. Before I started judo, i was 220 pounds, and for a 5'6" azn guy to be carrying that weight around, it was god awful and embarassing. I stumbled into my dojo because i had heard that Judo was sorta like BJJ (yes, i originally wanted to take BJJ). When I went there they took me in and i trained 5 days a week there because I wasn't working or going to school. I went there and trained as if it was work for me. In 3 months, I had shed 30 pounds and my psychological mindset was back on track. I had always wanted to do judo for a long time, but a shitty relationship screwed me over (which led to me packing on 220 pounds).

I eventually focussed on my newaza and I guess the natural progression of things is to head over towards BJJ. I'm looking forward to it, and yeah..... I started at age 25, i'm 26 now. I use to think "shit, i wish i found out about this earlier" but now that i think positively, i'm lucky judo found me.

13. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

high school wrestling, saw ufc in 11th grade for the first time and freshman year of college (3.5 yrs ago about) i found out there was a bjj club in the gym. Trained 4x a week nonstop entirely no gi at first, then bought a gi after 6 months.

14. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Did boxing and TKD as a kid did some judo/bjj training whilst working club security.

15. Kuet

Kuet New Member

:hug: that made me cry. :wtc:
    No , seriously though...any story like that one, ben's .... hell even alove, although i dont know him so well... anybody that can dedicate themselves from being pretty damn overweight and bust your ass and loose a shitload- i have mad respect for. :bigok:
    its inspiration to myself, and although i am only 5'10 195 lbs....it helps me want to get down to my should be weight of around 170....
    PROPS MUH NEGGARS !!!

16. aLove

aLove New Member

Where are you training Judo? Back in 2004, there weren't many BJJ places in Abbotsford, so instead of driving to Langley or Vancity, I trained at Abbotsford Judo. Great dojo, and great team.

17. aLove

aLove New Member

Thanks Braddah, for the good words.

I started in November at 280lbs, for my 6 foot 1 frame. I'm down to 245 today. It can be done, just put your mind to it.

18. FiKtIOn

FiKtIOn A bottle of Jack, a case of Pearl, and a pack of c

I'm kind of between starting with BJJ or Muay Thai, there are two good dojo's here in Dallas, I'd really like to do both, but I'm afraid I'll just be dead ass tired. Would it be better to start with Muay Thai and work on striking before grappling BJJ, or the other way around?

Carlos Machado, one of the Gracie cousins has a BJJ dojo here in Dallas, so I'm really leaning towards BJJ, but wondered if Muay Thai would be better to start with.

19. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Fuck, train under Carlos. My instructor got a blackbelt under him. Carlos is a badass.

20. Scream_Phoenix

:bigthumb: good job on gettting things straightend out for yourself. thats part of my motivation as well. im really apethetic at times. training helps

im still in victoria, today i was accepted to the uvic commerce program :nikko: im stoked since ive been working towards this for a while :big grin: i started training at victoria jiu jitsu academy with a guy named ari bolden. hes a pretty good guy, its a small club with a good atmosphere. this summer ill train there or at a place called zuma. it sort of depends on what job i end up with, and what my friend ends up doing.

you still in victoria or back to vancouver?

21. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Fuckin word, brotha! seriously though mang, set a realistic goal for yourself, christ, i know you can do it. Shit you've got other priorities now, but if you ever need a swift kick in the ass, i'll be here to provide you a good ole boot.

Alove: Look familiar?
    [​IMG]
    took home 3rd in that competition :o shit!
    I shall not hijack this thread any further :p