How'd you guys get started?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by xSteveO, Oct 31, 2008.

1. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

I am thinking of putting fliers on cars, but I'm not sure if people would find this a little obtrusive. I've got a few little jobs with a few friends and a people who my parents work with, but I wanted to develop something steady if I could

2. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Get some nice cards made and then a price sheet showing your basic 3 services. Dress nice. Go to the businesses. Focus on real estate and the medical field. Go inside and ask for the owner or top performers. Make sure you have your appointment book with you. This will be something new to them and it's impulsive so be ready with pen and paper!

I still do this on rainy days. I either go to new businesses or go see old clients. I even buy some donuts now and then for my good clients.

This a lot better than putting flies on cars and waiting for them to come to you. Most end up on the ground with angry people driving away. Plus, in some cities, it's illegal.

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I also found the idea of a flyer on the vehicle obtrusive, so never tried it and also didn't want to be responsible for the trash left behind. If it rained creating bleeding of the ink or needing any cleanup, that would be in very poor taste for a detailer to cause. If I do leave a business card on a car, it's on a nice day and really only by happenstance for a vehicle I really want to clean that fits in with my clientele.

+1 for the businesses. Once you get some jobs you'll always have lookie louies while you're working too, so keep a business card handy and present a professional image. I try to drop a flyer at neighboring houses either before/after I'm done as well.

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I get pissed if anyone touches my car. I wouldn't do it.

Honestly I got started by people asking me if I would do theirs after seeing my car, and I said sure why not.... then word of mouth spread.

5. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

In my county, it's illegal to put out fliers without the written permission of the owner's parking lot.

Food for thought.........
    Federal offense if you put anything in anyone's mailbox without mailing it.

6. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

+11ty

Don't risk it, if you want to paper a neighborhood pick up a box of door hanger bags to put the flyer in.

7. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Or just knock on the door and introduce yourself.

It's easier to say no to a piece of paper than a face. Plus, if you ask, you can over come objections like price face to face.

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Mostly word of mouth and flyers. More common approach in the early to mid 90s than it is now. My brother made me some very professional looking ones and on rainy days or when I didn't have any cars, I'd put them out. Sometimes 500+ in a day.

9. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

no offense, but if you showed up at my office i'd tell you to GTFO

10. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

And I would. I sold cars for 6 years and was a finance manager for 3 more. I'm used to the word no. Doesn't hurt.

Bet looking at your nasty car does though............no offense though.