GUN How'd you get into guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Brian Fantana, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Well who/what brought you into shooting, owning, and just liking guns?

Id have to say it was my Great uncle (RIP), he loved the civil war and all of that stuff. But he built 3 guns from kits and stuff. They were sweet. He built a 44 mag revolver, a 357 revolver and a Hawkins musket.

And id also have to say my Grandfather who was in the marines and started taking me shooting when I was 11.

2. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Went to the Illinois State Police range with dad to watch when I was around 8, got my first rifle at 9, started shooting handguns with dad and the troopers around 10.

3. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

dad was in the Taiwanese military, and later became an NRA smallbore instructor, and the obligatory Boy Scout guns, I kinda grew up with it

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Would have to be probably my dad. There was a family farm up in Kansas and we use to go up to visit family during the summer for awhile and do a good bit of shooting out on the farm. Think I got my .410 when I was like 7 or 8. I don't remember.

In High School I was on the NJROTC rifle team and just recently have gotten back into it on account of another friend...

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

when i was a kid, there were always firearms around, but i've actually never been shooting with my dad. he tought me the basics of shooting with a daisy pellet rifle. when i joined MCJROTC in high school, the marksmanship team started the year i joined. i shot well enough to be on it, and i became range officer the next year. i dropped JROTC my sophomore year, and didn't actually fire a real firearm until my senior year, when i started talking to a guy i hadn't been friends with since 8th grade. we got to talking about guns, and how he shot, and stuff he had. we went up to a local range a few times, and i was hooked. my dad gave me a NEF 20 ga. for my 18th b'day, and then his SKS for graduation. i have taken most of his firearms one by one, by default. i'm the only one that shoots them, and when i shoot them, i keep them.

6. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

it was forbidn' fruit

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

too many fucking movies for me.

8. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

i'll probably get laughed at, but movies and video games :o

9. PlayingGod

PlayingGod New Member

joined the Army

10. Samdog

Samdog mmmmmm, turbo.....

curiosity, went to the range one day to see what shooting was like, instantly addicted :coold:

11. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

The engineering aspect of firearms always intrigued me so it was just a matter of time.

12. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

My dad got me into guns, i started out with various pellet rifles and pistols when i was a little kid. My dad was big into skeet shooting when i was younger, so i would go with him, then he eventually bought me a skeet gun. I got hooked on that for a while, then my dad joined a hunting club. That was the first rifle or pistol range i had ever been to, and i think i was around 14-15 at the time. My dad bought me a NEF .22 lr revolver. I love that thing, and it is still THE most accurate gun i have shot. I've been hooked ever since. I keep buying guns, but the closest place to shoot them is an hour drive, and i havent had time since i've been in college to go shoot. So i've started spending my money on guns rather than beer and tobacco. I can at least get my money back out of my guns :o

13. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

I started out getting into hunting, my family hunts, my dad hunts, grandpa hunts, my brothers hunted.. one of my brothers still hunts.. but yeah, you need a gun to hunt.. All I hunted was whitetail.. I still do, I love it.. but now I'm more into the gun aspect.. I'm more into target shooting, and guns in general, than just hunting. I just look at hunting as a little something extra now and then. My dad is one of those "what do you need that for, all you need is a bolt action rifle and a 12 gauge pump".. if its not a gun that is used for hunting, he doesnt understand.. I think hes coming around by now..

My little brother is a big hunter and fisherman, hes the outdoorsman, I'm the shooter, the other two brothers dont do much of either anymore.

14. Mitch'SS

Mitch'SS New Member

My dad.

I would always go out and help him sight in his deer rifle on our land when I was small. He got me a air rifle one year, then a couple years later on a .22. Then he found me a good deal on a .243 for deer hunting. And I also got a 12 ga from him on one christmas for dove hunting :big grin:

15. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I wanted a motorcycle and my wife said they were too dangerous so I got a gun instead :big grin:

16. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

Bwahahahaha :bowdown::bowdown: thats fucking awesome:bigthumb:

17. My dad I guess, but I am from Arkansas so it's a given. LOL I like guns more than any of my family members.

18. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

The whole mechanical side of it. Hell if I'd been around them more and experiance by now i'd of even thought of learning some gunsmithing stuff. I like it. I'm a mechanical designer now and how things work and stuff is my freaking career.

19. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

All that history in shooting and you still don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Maybe everyone on OT can chip in and get you "Guns for Idiots".

20. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Hmm really. Point out a few things that "I dont know what the fuck im talking about".

21. ryanbum

:wavey: Here's one

22. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

That wasnt vermicelli that posted that.

23. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

24. ryanbum

Wrong again dipshit.

25. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Poe, go use the 357 revolver your Great Uncle built to /yourself