GUN How'd I handle this situation...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Sep 15, 2006.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Ok, so I'm at a friend at dinner, her friend calls and says she is finishing packing stuff to move out the next day, says we should cruise by and drink a few margaritas.

We stop and get some beer (not a margarita person), two other events not relevent to this story happened which made me really pissed off and I realized the moon was tilted wrong and I shouldn't go out.

So we end up over there with the idea were gonna get shit faced and not go anywhere. Her neighbor stops by and asks if he can have a beer, I ask how old he is and he replies "19" so I reply "no, sorry I'm not fucking up my life to give someone a beer, I don't even know...no offence" (contributing to the delequency of minors is a felony in NM) He says "That's cool, I've got beer upstairs I just didn't wanna walk up there to get one" He then proceeds to throw a budlight in the trash can (what we were drinking) So I tell him "Just don't come back, once again no offense but a cops not gonna believe it's your budlight and not mine" He gets pissed off and leaves.

A few more people show up that are friends of ours, we chill for a while then two of them take off. I look out the sliding glass window and see the 4 kids from upstairs surrounded around them in a manor I presume to be starting shit. I tell my buddy "let's go out there and make sure it's cool, I don't wanna see anyone get jumped"

We go outside and and they are pushing them around starting crap. I try talking everyone down and getting the two with us out of there. Everything seems to go good until one of the kids tells my buddy "I bet I could whoop your ass" and he replied "I bet I can break this bottle over your head" the kid rushed him, the bottle broke. I held one of the other kids back and just let them do their own one on one thing. Fight eventually broke up and the two friends took off.

I go back inside and another friend calls and says he's on his way over. I say were kicking everyone out, but I'm chilling there, being buzzed I didn't want to chance getting pulled over.

Friend calls says he's outside and some kids are bashing in windows of cars. I decide, screw it...I'm outta here before something bad happens. I don't bother calling the cops in this down, because everytime I have they don't show up for an hour or two. I wanted to have something left of my truck by then. The girl I went to dinner with, her sister lives about 4 blocks from there, so we decide to go there.

Walk out to the truck, ignoring the kids breaking windows (dumbshits were breaking windows in pretty much every car but any of ours) I get in the truck and start backing out, when I notice that there are now 6 kids surrounding my friend with the bottle.

I get out of the truck and start to walk over there, as I'm walking over there they start to attack my friend, his girlfriend runs over there to pull them off and one turns around and decks her, knocking her down I start to run in when I notice one of them has a police baton and starts swinging at people. So I go back to my truck looking for a weapon of some sort, I had taken my XD out earlier to clean, and left the house before finishing and leaving for dinner.

So I have a gerber axe and an ar-15 with no ammo, not even an empty mag. Being as that I don't want to actually want to kill anyone I grab the AR and go back to where there is basically an all out brawl now.

I rack the slide and yell "You wanna play with weapons motherf*cker? Let's play" people look over and start to scatter. I'm left with one of my friends drunk wanting to fight one of them one on one and another one of them backing up saying "it's cool man, it's cool just put the gun down" I reply "it's not cool man, get in your apartment and then it'll be cool" I get hit with a rock from somewhere on my right and then I start yelling at them some more and they both take off running, out of the complex altogether. Get in the truck and leave.

At the end of the night the girlfriend that got hit had a big bruise, and a sprained (maybe worse?) knee, another friend had a brused arm, black eye and knot on his head (first to get hit and blocked the baton with his arm), and another friend had two black eyes.

So how do you think I handled the situation? Aside from driving after drinking, I dunno I feel I was in the right. And on one hand maybe I should have never pulled the gun. And on the other I realize it was stupid to pull out a gun which was empty, I could have been shot and killed and done nothing about it.

/cliffs - kid gets pissed cause we kick him out of party, starts shit, gets ass beat, breaks a bunch of windows trys to jump friend and people start getting smacked with baton so I pull out unloaded AR and scare them off.

2. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

depending on where is you are is that called 'brandishing'?

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Bear spray would have made this story even better, rather than the AR.. I'm not going to jump your shit, but realize you need a better class of people to hang out with... and guns and alcohol never mix.

4. striker754

striker754 Chillin

AR scared them, but you are right, they could have been packin some heat and you would have been straight fucked.

(2) Deadly physical force may be used only if a person reasonably believes a lesser degree of force is inadequate and:

(a) The actor has reasonable ground to believe, and does believe, that he or another person is in imminent danger of being killed or of receiving great bodily injury; or

Open fire? Legally justified at least here. No way you can do anything against 6 guys, 1 of whom has a baton.

5. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

woah

I am sure there was more to this then meets the eye.

how old are you?

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I can't find any local laws regarding brandishing but I've been "told" that they are written in the same sense as the "illegal discharge of a firearm in city limits", that if it's justified (i.e. defending someone being beaten by a lethal weapon) it's not a violation? I dunno that's just hearsay.

As far as my friends, I've only been in one other fight with the same group in the past 5+ years I've been hanging out with them. And that involved that pussy Diego Sanchez from the UFC before he got big.

Bear spray would have definately been key that night.

7. striker754

striker754 Chillin

you gonna bear spray 6 people? good luck with that

8. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I think it was justified. I mean they were beating the fuck outta peoples cars. Sure, not yours, but alot of other peoples.
    And they were assaulting your friend with a baton and a bottle, and I am totally not cool when I see any guy punch a girl. Thats just for cowards.

Its understandable. Althoguh as thunder said, guns and alcohol never mix

9. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I'm 22, that is the entire story from my persepective. I dunno what started the altercation between the first two people that were leaving, I just went outside to make sure no one got jumped. I wasn't there, and they never mentioned what they were talking about before we got there.

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Of course hind sight is always 20/20 so obviously it could have been handled better. At least you were able to diffuse the situation and keep everything to minor injuries.

11. Aequitas

Are you worried abour retaliation at all? I know how punk kids can be, if they come looking for trouble they might bring a gun.

12. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Exactly, I realize I can't do anything different now, that's why I posted to see what other's opinions were so I can learn incase anything like that were to happen again.

And I normally don't mix guns and alcohol, the four choices I had were 1)AR 2) Axe 3) Hands or 4)Ditch everyone there. I just happened to go with the AR at the time

13. BigBadJohn

Any lesser of weapon maybe wouldnt have scared them as much. If you had just decided to pull out your pocket knife or something then they would have just went after you. With the gun, they knew they were no match, so they just high tailed it out of there.

If you had done nothing your friend could have gotten hurt bad, and your truck would be fucked up before they were done wrecking those cars.

14. Aequitas

Just maybe keep a loaded mag for now on? Kind of difficult when you plan on drinking, but maybe locked in the glovebox or something.

15. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

normally I keep the XD in the truck with two mags, the AR was just behind the back seat from camping two weeks prior, I hadn't taken it out, however all my mags ammo were in another bag that I had taken out.

That was the first time I haven't had my XD with me since I bought it last year.

16. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I think you were in the right to brandish the weapon to difuse the situation. granted, anyone with a lick of sense would be able to tell that it wasn't loaded.

funny thing is, i just read up, and anyone in my state in possession of even an unloaded firearm, while intoxicated is subject to a class B misdemeanor. course drunk driving is probably the same.

don't know. It's one of those situations that depends on the actions of the parties involved. based upone what you said though, you seem in the right.

17. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Not worried about retaliation, don't think they saw what I drove and 1) she moved out the next day (was anyway) 2) they got evicted because several people heard the commotion and knew they were the ones breaking windows.

Not sure on possession of a firearm and being intoxicated, I was more worried about the DUI, it's a felony and they impound your vehicle on first offense here

18. BigBadJohn

Whats your blood alcohol content level around when you are buzzed anyway?

19. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Hard to tell, I have pretty high tolerance. :shrug:

20. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

:rofl: at your action movie line

21. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

depending on what state you're in you know how this could wind up looking like

dude with "M16 assault rife" attacks half a dozen unarmed youths

beating up women is low and there must be heaps of smashed glass around and doctors reports to support your story however you know how things can be spun when they found out you used the black rifle

22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thunderbear is more polite than me, I'll jump your shit a little. Quit hanging out with a bunch of drunks. Your buddy is the one that didn't defuse the situation when he started talking about breaking a bottle over a guy's head. Next you didn't call the police. Even if they didn't get there, you'd have a call and a time stamp helping validate your actions. Next you go back to where drunks are brawling and decide you need to break it up. Then you decide you don't want to kill anyone but you take out a firearm. Plus its unloaded.

You aren't a cop, if the drunks want to talk shit and fight each other, let them. I personally don't like to hang out with drunks, especially young college drunks for this reason. If you do you should keep the firearms seperate from those activities especially if you want to be part of your buddies possy when he's encouraging a fight himself. Your firearm is for killing and not intimidation.

I think you're lucky you didn't get arrested or shot as I think both would have been possible.

23. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

some comments.

do not get anywhere near a gun when u are drinking. if the cops came and saw u were operating a firearm while drunk you will be in deep shit.

even if it is not loaded it is brandishing, and u can get in deep shit for that (threatening someone with a firearm)

however u were good in standing up for your buddy and GF, i don't think u can do anything "right" in this kind of situation. if it was me i would have kept my handgun undrawn and tell the kids you have a gun, and if they did not stop harming you and your friends u will have to shoot them.

and do u have a CCW? always keep your gun loaded man! what IF u had to use it? what if one of them stabbed your friend and tried to rape the girl. no use in a empty gun when u need it.

a buddy of mine keeps a base ball bat in his truck. i keep a 6D maglight in my car. although i ALWAYS try to run away from situations like this. i think its important to know that if they are just drunk and swinging sticks around, there is no need for a firearm.

best bet is to go buy a pepper spray, or a stun gun (if legal in your state).

24. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I pretty much agree with this.

25. mrchina

mrchina Guest

If you're going to pull out a gun I'd suggest making sure its hot. Jesus, what happened if the thugs had guns themselves and shot you for pulling out your gun?