How young is "too young" to lift weights?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by chknbone, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chknbone

chknbone New Member

I've been thinking of starting to take my 11 yr old to the gym with me. No fanatical routines or "pushing", I just want him to learn/do basic strength exercises with the stress being more on form and muscle control as opposed to weight. He seems to have this problem with figuring out which muscles to use and how to use them when it comes to strength. For example, when he arm wrestles he seems to flex every muscle in his body except the ones that would push his hand down toward the table. I'm not making fun of him and I'm "disappointed" in him or anything, I'm just trying to figure out a way to help learn some better muscle control.

He's been on swim teams (year round) for the last 3 years so I'm not worried about him "exercising". He's pretty good at it too because he's the type of person that not only listens to the instructions but actually applies them after he's been instructed. So I'm not too worried about him not doing the proper form but I just wondered if anyone knows of any legitimate medical concerns with lifting at a young age and how young is "too young" (generally speaking).

2. knucks

knucks Active Member

How big is your kid?

3. shadowx

shadowx Guest

11 is too young. Buy him some video games. Don't take him so early so that by the time he's 16-17 he's dreading every moment of going to the gym. I'd say 8th grade - 13 years old, start there, with high reps, I wouldn't have him max out or do anything less than 8 reps.

4. knucks

knucks Active Member

well what about that ukrainian kid hercules kid..hes real young..

what about all those kids involved in karate and tae kwon do? i say it's not a bad idea

5. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

hes not making im a power lifter, i say its okay, its something good to learn and will teach him discipline

6. shadowx

shadowx Guest

stunt his growth, burn him out .. :ugh2:

7. jonno

jonno New Member

i say it's a good idea as long as he wants to do it. as long as your not pushing him into it and forcing him it's fine IMO.

8. jonno

jonno New Member

no

9. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Show me proof that lifting weights stunts growth

10. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

look at purevil :hsugh:

11. knucks

knucks Active Member

there is none :big grin:

12. Mojo

Mojo New Member

i been curious about that too... does working out at an early age stun/slow your growth? one of my bros friends (whose 18 now) worked out when he was in middle school, hes about 5'2" but a small beefed up man =\ maybe something with puberty?

i think 13 is an acceptable age to start working out, but i would consult your doctor/physcian* first. maybe around now, he can just do warm ups all day to get used to the exercising equipment and the exercises?

13. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Fetus.

14. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

Have him do alot of sprints, to keep him lean, and good base for when he is ready to lift.

15. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

A good thing you could do is encourage him to play sports, but don't have him focus on just one at such a young age.

I played baseball, soccer, and basketball before I started playing football and lifting in high school and it provided a pretty good athletic background.

16. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

The most important thing for him is to eat right. He needs nutritionally dense foods (green stuff). After that I'd start him in sports first then lifting later.

I've always hypothesized that lifting + lack of calories and nutients = stunted growth. However, exercise plus penty of calories will probably help him if it's not to crazy.

17. houseofdon

houseofdon Simplify Moderator

18. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

i wouldn't worry about it until he was about 15

however, i would get him into baseball now :coold:

19. SteveO

SteveO Guest

wow, you're a smart one.

Get him involved in physical sports and the weight lifting will come naturally from peer pressure

20. chknbone

chknbone New Member

He's about 4'6" and around 95lbs. He's not "fat" but he's definitely not skinny....well ok, he's getting kind of fat but we just call it "husky". He's slimmed down a little since the start of the summer swim league but that has just ended and the next sessions don't start until the end of Aug and I want to start something that is different and "fun" to help keep that weight off between swim seasons.

He's played basketball the last 4 years but that's the only sport other than swimming that he cares for. Swimming is his thing. He can't run 4 laps around the house without almost crying because he hates running so bad but he can swim for 20 minutes straight as a warm-up before practice and smile all the way. (His younger brother is the complete and total opposite - he would run from here to California with a smile on his face but he discovered that he does NOT like being a swim team this summer).

Again, I'm not one of those fanatical, macho dads that's thinking about doing any type of "max" lifting here. I know he would hate that and it would quickly turn into "hate going" which may follow him around for a long time in life - definitely not what I'm after. After reading the articles houseofdon pointed me to, I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. If he likes it, we'll do it. If he doesn't, we'll do something else.

Thanks all.

21. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

You might want to start him out with bodyweight exercises before moving to any kind of weights, conditioning and motor skill development/coordination is going to be more important at 11 years old than heavy lifting.

22. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I started lifting 2x a week while in 5th grade. Doing the same exersices I do now. You'd think I'd be a little better at it then I am.

23. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

you crunked in 5th grade? :eek3:

24. PepsiMax

PepsiMax New Member

He was crunking when his mom expelled him from herself

25. Zika

Zika My avatar is still NOT me

As far as I've read lifting only stunts growth if you lift STUPIDLY large amounts and damage the Growth Plates in a kids bones. On the contrary it could improve the overall final height of a kid by increasing testosterone production.

If you are really serious about this see a doctor first. He/She will probably say it's ok but see them again if the slightest sign of injury comes up :dunno:.

I think this myth came about by the fact alot of guys who work out are pretty short as they lift weights to make up for there lack of height. :mamoru:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.