MMA How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

End of class... Free rolling for 90 second rounds. Start sitting on the floor back to back.. no strikes, eye gouges, etc. Just try to get dominance and then a submission.

First guy I line up with is at his third class. (I'm at my 5th... both newbies) He outweighs me by a good 120-135 lbs (He's probably 250-260, I'm 135 dripping wet).

When the instructor starts the clock we turn around, he lunges forward, grabs the collars of my gi, picks me up, and slams me to the mat. I get the wind knocked out of me, can't get up, and refuse to do anything again with this guy.

I sat out the round, then the next round got back in against a guy somewhat closer to my size. I got his back, got a body triangle and RNC, and asked if he wanted me to try to submit him, or let him roll out. He wanted to roll out a bit, so I relaxed, stayed mounted, and fought for an armbar. I could have subbed him, but it wouldn't have done any good for either of us. Letting him get back to where he was mounted and me trying for an armbar was better for both of us then me proving I'm quick enough to get his back.

After class, the big guy that slammed me apologized. I reminded him that if we're training together, he's responsible for my safety as well as his own. But I doubt I'll be willing to do much of anything else with this guy again.

I've never had issues pairing up with larger people before. I sparred in TKD against more 6', 200 lb. guys than I can count. But we weren't trying to kill each other either.

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I would say you handled it correct and he did also by apoligizing. I dont know what more you could want from him.

3. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

:werd:

if he's a noob he may honestly not have fully realized how hard he was going to get you. (though he may have had a clue).

that said, i've had similar things happen to me and have DONE similar things to people. i always apologize immediately, AND after class and i know that whenever i've done it, it was purely accidental. The times that it's happened to me, i've sometimes been injured and sometimes just had my pride bruised, but that doesn't impact my decision to train with them in the future. I let their intent and likelihood of injuring me again in the future decide that.

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I don't believe his intent is bad. I really don't. He's overly enthusiastic, has some (probably a lot) wrestling skills, and just goes 110% the whole time. Which is fine when he's paired up the the black belt that's his size, but not with a(nother) newbie.

It's that whole "likelihood of injuring" part I've got an issue with.

I'll just have to shuffle partners Wednesday night so I don't get partnered up with him again.

I completely forgot about the other big guy in class... We were doing punch defenses into an armbar. Opponent throws the punch, you step out the line of the attack, get the armbar, and sweep. Basic stuff...

Instead of punching forward, he'd punch to where you were stepping. After the third time, I just didn't move and he punched a foot wide of my right shoulder. :rofl:

5. TigreTek

i've learned to pair "overly enthusiastic" with "too stupid to watch out for his training partner's wellbeing".

i avoid training with that type of person like the plague if they don't shape up after i've talked to them.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

as a 300 pounder that lifts weights alot and only in jiu jitsu for about a month so definately a newbie... when i have bee paired with a much smaller person i hate it, A. because anyone with that much size advantage knows he can slam a 130 pounder down if you want to but why? (unless he's just a dickhead) and B. neither of the people really seem to learn shit cause big guy has to take it too easy and small guy doesn't have the size or power big guy will deal with when against a similar size. I just think it's dumb and a waste of both peoples time to have over a 100 pound weight diff in training, we never did it in wrestling and after doing it in jj i know why we didn't in wrestling. if the guy slammed your ass down like that I'd say he's just a moron or a dickhead either or. and you handled it very well imo. thumbs up man.

And I'm in no way saying smaller guys can't be tough, but a 100 pound + weight advantage is just crazy for practice.

7. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

:werd:

In TKD, the "overly enthusiastic" n00bs would get a light tap to the side of their face with a round kick. That usually reminded them to settle down a bit.

8. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

The other big guy and I got paired up as well. I pulled guard, and laid down on me and put his sternum on my head and just sat there. :rofl:

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yeah that's useless to both of you for sure. time would have been better spent to have both large guys against each other and pair you with another smaller faster guy. i hate it when that shit happens too but i've only been at it a month so what the hell do i know lol

10. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I'd much rather get paired with one of the advanced students and have him just counter everything I try. At least then I feel as if I'm learning something.

It was fun rolling with the kid I caught in the RNC, simply because we're probably at about the same level.

Edit: I think I pulled a muscle on my left ribcage last night. This shit hurts.

11. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Slight update:

I think this guy was asked to not return to class. I haven't seen him in 3 weeks, and we got "talked to" after class last week about class not being a competition, and size/strength matters on the mat, and always be in control, etc.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

awesome that it was handled by your trainers, slamming a guy you outweigh b y that much is just a dickhead move and teaches nothing to anyone

13. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

well I guess they felt it was something that would not stop happening.

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

guy is just learning and got too excited. Shit happens, he apologized. Hopefully you won't have hard feelings and he will learn from his mistakes.

15. AznFreeballiN

AznFreeballiN mangekyo sharingan

he apologized, what more do u want? u want him to bake u a cake?

16. TigreTek

if the guy got asked to not come back, i don't think that this was the only incident.

17. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

how about the guy doesn't do stupid pointless shit that will injure his training partners for no damn reason what-so-ever.

grabbing a guy that you out weight by over a hundred pounds and throwing him to the ground isn't training, that's just being a dip shit and i wouldn't trust him training submissions on me if he makes decisions that bad, fucker would probalby pull till ya pop to show how cool he is like when he threw the dude to the ground for no damn reason.

18. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah at my bjj academy whenever someone gets slammy phil says "dude, slow down, this ain't the ufc!"

19. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

He's coming back next week.. Apparently he got asked to "take a break".

20. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

It wasn't.