A&P how would you handle this situation (with a client)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by xenon supra, Apr 2, 2010.

1. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

client contacts me about engagement session

client picks my 2 hour engagement package

they are very busy so we had a hard time scheduling

decided to meet 2 months ago for 30minutes for a quick session for a save the date card, planned to meet later on for rest of shoot

client has already paid in full

**now**

client contacts me and wants to travel 45 minutes north to go shoot somewhere other than our original location. client wants to go at rush hour

--

basically they have 1.5 hours left that I had assumed would be a 2 minute drive away...

now they want to go spend 1.5 hours in the car and he mentioned shooting 2 hours (from 3-5pm).... which is a total of 3.5 hours + 30 minutes previously = 4 hrs total.

--

what is a polite way to let him know that I'm not willing to spend that much time unless he wants to pay extra.

or am I being a cheap ass and should I just do it?

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

not at all. personally i would have treated it as two shoots. its hard to charge by the hour when its something like this. Also in my contracts i get 50cents a mile.

3. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Stick to your guns but let them know that agreement included reasonable travel, not extensive. Anything outside is extra cost (if you are willing to drive).

Al has a damn good idea about x/per mileage

4. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Might charge a little more for the time in the car, but unless you can truly say that you'd be working using your "photog" skills during that time if they weren't "wasting" your time on a drive then you really can't charge them full rate.

Its easy to sit on the internet and say "hell no rape them," but in reality when your trying to establish yourself you gotta take what you get to a large degree.
    Myself my day job has me traveling by car so much during the week that I don't charge a client travel time for any event inside Ohio. I laugh at the photog ad in columbus that say anywhere outside franklin county is subject to mileage fees.

5. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Definitely ask for a bit extra, and in terms of charging for mileage... I'd stay away from it.

6. havelegs

havelegs Active Member

As hard as it is your best bet would be to do it. I don't know if you should mention to him the extra time that he is getting unpaid for, maybe you can do it in a subtle way.

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

a referral from him later would probably be worth more than an hour of drive time that you wouldn't be getting paid for, anyway, eh?

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

man people have some nerve to ask that travel

i wouldn't do it. i'd point out that you are already cutting the time by doing 2 separate shoots and you can't take the time to travel 2-3hrs total.

9. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

How much are their shots worth to your portfolio?

10. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I say educate them. I'll bet they didn't realize that their change was this intrusive and outside of the scope of billing. Figure out if it is worth it to you or not and charge them accordingly. You never know, they may have a ton of referrals from it - or as Girth pointed out it could help your portfolio. Sometimes the most inconvenient and painful circumstances can produce amazing results.

11. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

[y]mj5IV23g-fE[/y]

:bowdown:

12. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

I think you have to decide how clear you were about the fact that the second location had to be local, and not a 45min drive away.

If you just "figured" and weren't clear, I say you just do the session and be more clear next time.

Alternatively, if you decide to do it w/o charging them extra, make sure you let them know that it is costing you extra to do this. Charge them for it on an invoice and then deduct that amount at the bottom of the invoice so it's null. It might go a long way towards referrals and all that...

Tough situation, I've been in similar situations (im not a photog, but you know what I mean) where I've done both. I've said, No, not doing it, and I've also ate my pride and just did it to get the job done.

Ultimately you know what's right so you'll make a good decision, either way though it's going to kinda suck.