MIL How would you guys rate ALICE packs?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Freakin' Rican, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Freakin' Rican

Freakin' Rican New Member

I'm going camping in a few months and I need a new pack. I figure I'd get a mil-surp medium ALICE pack but I wanted some opinions before I bought it. :blue:

2. Mint Berry Crunch

Mint Berry Crunch Active Member

piece of shit

3. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

it will do the trick but there are plenty of civilian packs that are vastly superior

4. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

garbage

5. I don't get people that want to buy military stuff. Alice packs are uncomfortable, cut off circulation on long marches, and over all suck.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a pack buy one from REI or Eastern Mountain Sports. One of their REI brands or EMS brands will do the trick and be much more comfortable than a ruck sack.

6. NPH

NPH Guest

The only good shit I was ever issued were the gortex tops and bottoms.. anything besides that, was complete shit! ALICE packs were fucking garbage. I remember the one issued to me was all fucked up, duck taped and the fucking harness would dig into my fucking back like a motherfucker.

7. do people use alice packs in combat?

8. NPH

NPH Guest

No. In combat they issue out Louis Vuitton packs. :rolleyes:

9. Sweet I thought they had to use something nicer. :bowdown:

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Who still uses ALICE packs? besides bootcamp and SOI/MCT, I thought the Marine Corps switched to MOLLE.

And ALICE can be teh suck, specially if you don't adjust it right.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

And to the OP, you'll be fine using an ALICE pack for camping. Cmon guys, he's not going to combat. Only thing he'll be packing, will smores, ho-ho's, wacky-tabacky... and maybe some liquor.

13. No way man. If he is going car camping and just wants to hike around a bit then yeah go for it. But if you are going "real" camping you should just rent a pack or buy one from REI or EMS. You can fit a lot of stuff in a ruck, sure, but if you are going to be walking 10-20 miles in a day you want to be comfy with a decent pack fitted to you.

I guess it comes down to what kind of camping you will be doing. :dunno:

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

15. Liebgott

Liebgott New Member

I still have an Alice pack and the Vietnam era flak jacket lol. Gotta love being with a base unit.

16. willijdub

willijdub New Member

alice pack is fie for camping. Make sure to get a good frame though. good price for pack w/frame is $30-45 any more and you are getting jipped.

17. cardsharp

cardsharp New Member

i hate my alice pack.
    but it gets the job done when i go camping.

18. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

even a 20 dollar pack from wal mart is better than an ALICE pack.

no offense to the OP, but anyone who thinks military gear is good needs to get a reality check

19. Freakin' Rican

Freakin' Rican New Member

I'm going on a 5 day hike in Peru.

I was a Boy Scout so camping for me isn't some BS KOA site, its actually going into the woods and collecting your firewood to make a fire.

Also, the reason why I'm looking into military gear is that the military invested a fair sum of money into the development of the gear and if I can get a suitable bag for $40, I'll take it.

20. You'd be a lot happier with renting one from REI or EMS. I'm telling you that you can rent a far better pack for that much money. Alice packs are far outdated but if you think that they are good because its military :rofl: then go for it.

You can even get a better external frame pack thats way better if thats what you are into.

21. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Fuck, of course there's gonna be better packs than the ALICE, that shit was designed way back in the 60's I think. And from the sound of it, he does quite a bit of camping, why would he want to rent a pack every time he camps. Yeah, maybe he should invest in a good pack if he does camp that often. I seriously doubt he'll be humping +70lbs or even +50lbs of gear, so even then an ALICE will suit him just fine.

Unless Rican is doing some kind of clandestine ops in Peru, in which case, I'd suggest he get something like the Improved Load Bearing Equipment (ILBE). http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_ilbe_usmc.php

22. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

You can't go wrong with the marine corps sleeping system. I spent many 20 degree nights with the ocational rain, just as warm as ever.

23. Accord

Accord New Member

Every single scout sniper and member of STA PLT in my unit use modified ALICE packs and they hump more than virtually anyone else in the military. They took them and used them for weeks on end alone in Ramadi last year.

I went on a short 8 mile hump three weeks ago with my roommates ALICE pack and it was incredible, the weight is distributed perfectly, you can maintain a perfect slightly bent position easily, you don't get tired as quickly, the weight rests entirely on your hips so the entire load feels a hell of a lot lighter, etc. Mind you they're modified ALICE packs by HSGI with different pads, modern buckles, etc.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

The issued ILBE packs are fucking horrid. The Marine Corps could not have come up with a more piss poor design, they're awful. For putting gear in them they're fine, but humping with them is a nightmare.