How would you feel about buying a bike with 40k + miles?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by pagina, Oct 15, 2006.

1. pagina

pagina OT Supporter

There is a seemingly perfect condition 97 ZX-6 for sale near here for a pretty good price. The only downside is the bike has 43k miles...should I run away? It is all stock except for a seat bra and the current (2nd) oiwner is an older guy who has kept it garaged. Go for it or wait for something with less miles?

2. machine81

machine81 New Member

It'll be harder to sell if/when you do, but if the price is right I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. That engine was built to take more than 40k miles.

Is the current owner the original owner? If so, go talk to the guy. You'll be able to figure out pretty quickly how well he's taken care of it. Old guys like to talk about their toys :)

3. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

I personally wouldn't. Just because it's more than likely been 'raced' or whatever before. (Why else do most people get sportsbikes?)

4. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

It would honestly depend on the price and condition of the bike but the miles would not bother me. Yeah it may not be in tip top condition if you were to buy new but what do you expect from a used bike.

5. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

i think like 80% of sportbikes are either wrecked or stolen/stripped before they hit 20k miles