WEB how would you design a database for poll data?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by White Stormy, Feb 11, 2010.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I'm a database noob, but this is what I think..

Assuming that some polls will have a different number of possible answers than others..

(obviously pseudo code-ish)
    Code:
    [B]Poll Question Table[/B]
    int pollid | date start | date end | string question

[B]Poll Answer Table[/B]
    int pollid | int answertotal | string answer

if users have to be logged in, you don't have to worry about logging IPs, but how would you store which users have answered which polls? something like this?
    Code:
    [B]User Answer Table[/B]
    int pollid | int userid

And if you wanted to just log IPs.. that would be pretty much the same?
    Code:
    [B]IP Answer Table[/B]
    int pollid | int ip

If you only had one poll open at a time, would you need something more in that table than just one column of userid/IP? No need to store pollid every time on the offchance that poor coding mixes results from multiple polls if it should only be storing results for one poll at a time, right? that would be a lot of extra data for something that would take all of 5 minutes to test before going live.

just trying to learn this stuff. tia

2. brds

brds OT Supporter

This is how i would do it:

Code:
    [B]pollQuestions
    [/B]* pollID (int, auto-increment)
    pollQuestion (varchar(200))

[B]pollTimes[/B]
    *pollID (int)
    starttime(int)
    endtime(int)

[B]pollAnswers[/B]
    *pollID (int)
    pollAnswer(varchar(500))

[B]pollsTaken
    [/B]*pollID (int)
    IP (varchar(14))

If I were you, i wouldn't worry about if the user is logged in or not, i'd worry about their IP. It's pointless to only log one or the other. Also, if you make the start/end times as timestamps, it'll make things much easier in the end. There are also several date -> timestamp functions that can help you out.

3. White Stormy

:coold: thanks

well logging username would allow the users to see their poll history. do you think there would be a better way to support that than a table of userids and pollids? I was thinking about two different situations where might log IP for one or userid for the other.

I don't really understand the performance of databases.. haven't seen any real data on it. Do you think it would be better to just use the pollTimes timestamps or to include an isActive (0/1?) column in pollQuestions or pollTimes to determine if a poll is active?

4. brds

brds OT Supporter

You could create another table for what users have taken what polls.

As for the start/stop, you might want to change the polltimes table to include an isActive column as well. That way, you can query for something like:

Code:
    $query = "SELECT pollID FROM pollTimes WHERE endTime <= " . time() . " AND isActive = 1;";

Or, if for some reason, you need to shut down a poll before it's initial timeline is up, you can change the query to "isActive = 0;".

5. White Stormy

:bowdown: that makes sense. thanks, dude

6. Tom Ford

Tom Ford OT Supporter

7. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

It depends if you want to select from an enum list of poll options (A: are you male, female, transgender), multiple choice (B: which candy bars do you like), or fill in the blank (C: what year did you have your penis removed).

table polls
    id, title, description, polltype (see A, B, C above), startdate, enddate, active (to allow to disable manually)

table polloptions (multiple answer options for A and B polls, or not needed for C polls)
    id, pollid, choice

table users
    id, username, password

table answers (one answer per poll per user)
    id, pollid, userid, answer (an encoded string for A or B polls, or just the text of their answer for C)

If you don't track by one of either user or IP, your poll *will* get abused.