how would one start learning more about eastern imports?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by flamingsnowball, Jun 18, 2006.

1. flamingsnowball

flamingsnowball Only once the drugs are done...

i've never really been into them. i always used to like american built cars.
    im thinkin its time to move on. i wanna start learning more about imports. what would be a good place to check out info?

2. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

read sport compact car, dont pay attention to no crap like import tuner or super street and just read on, bro.

3. flamingsnowball

lol yea a bunch of kids in my math class read super street

4. Gek

Gek Go for broke

if your good with american motors then japanese motors will be a breeze for yah.. to learn other things like what swaps you can do and what "looks" good i say buy a cheap honda civic and start workin on it. you'll learn pretty quick

5. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

Modified is another good mag; www.modified.com

Civic's are a great starting point. Just don't go newer, 92-95's or 96-00; the 01+ have shitty suspensions. Or if you've been into RWD domestics, a Nissan 240sx would be another route.

6. flamingsnowball

what do you guys think about mr2s or maybe a 300zx

7. Cyrus.

Cyrus. Swollen Member

300z, MKIV Supra, 240 if you want to swap a decent engine into it, FD RX7's will take an LS1 with a bit of work....

Stay away from civics.

8. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Both have potential, but they are also both somewhat difficult to work on. It really depends on what kind of car you want though. Do you want a super-lightweight front drive shitbox, or a tossable rear-drive sports car, or a big GT with lots of turbocharged power? All of those categories have some good choices at various price points.

Personally, some of my favorites are the 240SX (engine swap VERY optional), Miata, and 5th-6th gen Civic hatchback. But I like cars that are simple, reliable, and easy to throw around corners and don't much care about burning Camaros in stoplight races.

9. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

mr2s are difficult to work with, but it pays off. like the others said above, civics and 240s should be a fine start.

10. flamingsnowball

also i have never driven a manual car :wtc:. which is really sad i know. how long would it take to learn?

11. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

watch Fast and Furious

12. thedguy

thedguy New Member

Don't discount the 86+91 RX-7's, if you don't mind learning about rotary engines. Though the chassis will take any Small Block v8 and still be a great car to drive. There's lots of bs surounding the v8 swap in it, it's exactly that, BS. Several have proven the car is just as balanced and just as light with a v8 as with the turbo rotary.

The 86.5-92 supra's (MKIII) are great cars, but over shadowed by the MKIV's. They have head gasket issue's but thats easily fixed with head studs and a Metal head gasket. Of course there's the 1jz engine swap as well, which is a motor every bit as good as the 2jz MKIV supra motor but down 500cc's.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

What do you want to learn?

Do you want to be able to ramble off specs about every Jap car?

Do you want to be able to build your own car and do your own work?

14. 2500

2500 Guest

i used to read every import mag for years and years, and i learned what 120,000 dollars can do to a car. all those mags are a bunch of trailer queens and a bunch of people who prolly don't know crap about their own car cuz they pay shops to do the work.

if you want to learn and actually know what your talking about, get out there, and start getting your hands into some projects. talk to people, and when you hear them doin cams on their motor, or doin a swap, or a turbo kit install, ask to help, or at least watch. but, all reading mags is gonna do for you, is make you like my friend. he can sit and ramble on about what chassis code is in every japanese car, and he can tell you what motor is in every car, and what the est 1/4 is on every car made. but, when it comes to work, he doesn't know shit. honestly, i was trying to swap a 1jz soarer motor into my lexus, and he was begging me to put in his alternator, then, he was begging me to aim his headlights. its like, dude, you can name the chassis codes, engine codes, and all this shit, but you need help aiming your headlights?

it all depends on what you are looking for. if you wanna fit in at a showing of "tokoyo drift" just pic up some mags, read about ice man intakes, and 120k dollar trailer queens.

if you wanna know what your talking about, and actually understand shit, hands on is the only way to go.

i read mags for years, and, could tell you what cars they made body kits for, or how much the NOS looking sub box costs, but i didn't truely know what i was talking about until i did my first engine rebuild on my own. knowing nothing about cars, just, bought the 4 volume manual, and rebuilt my 6G72 from the block up. mags are good to just see whats goin on, but, don't "learn" about cars from them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  15. vokuro

vokuro Active Member

badass reply. im seriously considering a 240sx for my first project car. wish that bastard movie wasnt produced thus inflating the value of these cars. so i assume a helms manual and aquire the tools as you go? its tempting to find a car already modified for 9k and just have fun but the prospect of doing it myself and understanding everything that goes into it just sounds better. good luck thread starter, im in the same situation as you are

16. The Mafia

The Mafia New Member

I'd be looking at a 200sx (or 240sx I think american terms are) or even a nissan skyline.

motors like this are so easy to work on, and modify, and get parts for.

Maybe even try www.skylinesaustralia.com or www.nissansilvia.com.au

two excellent sites to get started.

17. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

Grassroots Motorsports.

Best mag for you.

18. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Shouldn't be too bad if you understand it in theory and have at least average coordination. An afternoon to get a feel for it, a week of daily driving to become competent.

Read up on how a manual trans and clutch work if you aren't already familiar, and it should make sense.

19. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

Fast and the Furious is your friend

20. thedguy

thedguy New Member

Fixed.

Also take a look at autospeed.com.au

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  21. ridiculous

ridiculous New Member

They're both almost impossible to find for a decent price in decent condition (at least in NJ around me). I've been looking for a tt 300z for months and can't find one. They're all either beat to hell, have an assload of miles, or are horribly overpriced. Mr2s are even harder to find.

22. ghettoraid

ghettoraid evil chairman kaga

umm

you have to pay to play

bluebook doesn't mean shit, you and everyone else wants these cars because they're great.

TT's are NOT the kind of car you want to go halfass into. You need to spend a LOT on the car, then have a steady well paying job to support it. When something goes wrong, your wallet will feel the pain for sure.

23. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Mags are useless unless you wanna be that guy who never played baseball, but can spout off any stat about it.

Want to learn how to work on them/how they work? Buy the shop manual for your car. Search up walk-through installations w/ pics so you can see the process and how each system interacts with the others.

Then, buy a car, tear it down and start working. Hands-on is the ONLY way to go.

24. 2500

2500 Guest

agreed. you'll be able to blab off engine codes, specs, etc etc, but you'll go to change your oil and you won't know where to start. hands on ftw.