How would i...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sofa King, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

Set up a way to call my home computer (via a voip service, I guess) and have it play iTunes music to me? It needs to be able to answer it self (without a user there to hit "answer" or anything) and play music to me over the phone.

Is it possible? I remember seeing something like this a long time ago on Attack of the Show, or maybe it was The Screen Savers back then...not sure

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Why not just set up WinAmp Remote on your computer? It has the ability to stream music anywhere there is a internet connection and WinAmp.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

4. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

You could set up an Asterisk server and have it just play music when it automatically picks up.

just an idea.

5. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Find a business that has long hold times and has a good hold music rotation that you like. Just call them and stay on hold and enjoy said music. If someone picks up, hang up and dial again.

This also makes you look busy because you're on the phone, and also prevents people from calling your desk phone and bothering you with real work.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Orb.com

7. 7960

7960 New Member

I'll bite................. why?

8. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

Why not?

9. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

10. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

Alternatively if anybody can show me a way to get an application to open as soon as a window pops up, that way I can open iTunes as soon as the "Call Connected" window pops up.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

no really, why?

12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

lol...sounds like people that ask the mountain climbers why they climb. Theire response is often, "because it's there". Some ppl just like projects...it's like working a jigsaw puzzle, it's more about solving problems than making something practical.

To the OP, perhaps you could use linux as the answering machine then just call a .wav file. Perhaps this'll help: http://linuxgazette.net/120/smith.html

13. 7960

7960 New Member

If that's why, great, but I really see no use for this other than as a project........... and if I was looking for a project that involved my PC I doubt I'd pick "make it play music when I phone it."

I'm not shitting on the guy for it, I'd just like to know why.

14. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

lol, mainly a project just for shits and giggles. i was thinking idly in class the other day and it seemed simple enough so i decided to try it.

ok, heres what ive got so far:

-Music plays fine thru phone
    -I have the number to dial my computer

Only problem is, I don't know how to get it to Auto Answer
    im using the AIM 6 Phone Line and theres no option to do so, so i was thinking a macro to automatically hit "Accept" when the window opens...how would I set that up?

15. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

16. 7960

7960 New Member

Can you make it play different things if you press different keys on the phone?

If so, please post up an EDU when you're done. I can think of a few pranks I could use this for.

17. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

Nope, the one that was posted for Macs could do that I believe, but this is nowhere near that complex.

18. Sofa King

Sofa King Guest

After some more tinkering, I got the next best thing; you can text message your AIM name with a name of a song and it will play it for you assuming you have it in your itunes library