WEB How would I add a search function on a site...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by onedownfiveup, Sep 12, 2008.

1. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

I'm being paid to build a website to sell HID lights. Well there are only a few lights available obviously and building an OS Commerce site I don't think is worth it. I was thinking about building my own structure somewhat and use paypal's e-commerce tools by adding my my own buy now buttons. But the problem is he wants his customers to be able to search if need be. How can I do this?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Instead of coming up with a solution for a problem right now, you need to think down the road at the site possibly becoming a lot larger and more dynamic, and make room for additional products on the site with the functionality that your client is requesting. If you were thinking of building the site with software like OScommerce, you probably should, especially considering it has all the bells and whistles that you need. This includes the search functionality, plus a number of other benefits which you will no longer have to worry about because the OScommerce framework will take care of it, such as security.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

3. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

:hsugh: you're being paid to build a Commercial E-Commerce site and don't know this?

to answer you're question, with no database to search, Google site search is about the only feasible method.

4. brds

brds OT Supporter

create a mysql table that has keywords and the pages that those keywords are found on... an index of sorts.

Take the results from the form search and perform a query like this:
    This query will select all the pageurls from whatever table you specify and then (depending how you break down your query string) match any or all words from the search.

for example... I have a site with a search. If you search for "fat cat", i have it so it'll search for all tags of "fat" and all tags with "cat".

5. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

just have them get Google Search: "You know Google? Well they have a solution for people with websites...just imagine the power of Google Search aimed only at our website...it'll get us major credibility with people"

6. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Using oscommerce will be MUCH faster than making your own cart system with paypal interaction... no matter how limited the inventory will be.

7. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

i wouldn't necessarily say it's faster than a barebones system selling a few items. However, when it comes to features and ease of use, it would come out on top

8. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

Well he asked me if I could make a site for him and said he'd pay me. Extra cash wouldn't be so bad and he didn't really ask for more than I can handle really. I figured why not ask here and get some help if any.

Looks like OS Commerce is the way to go. Thanks.