MIL How will the success of SOCOM in Afghanistan change our military.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by brackac, May 26, 2005.

1. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

I think that the success in Afghanistan pushed America closer to having one large military, instead of multiple different services. We already have Joint Vision 2020, and one service with speciliazed departments would make more sense for C2, training and financially. The days of having the Corp assault the beach from Navy ships, and the Army infantry jumping in have passed. Todays technology has made it possible for a much smaller force to complete the mission. A few soldiers and Airmen on the ground directing bombing raids, and coordinating with local militia did what the Russian ground forces couldn't do in Afghanistan This will be the model for more of our future engagements, and Iraq may be the last time you see a Joint Force attack as individual services on the battlefield.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  2. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

You have an excellent point. Marines have a history of being trained for assault-type action, while Army seems to have a much more varied role. But both Iraq and Afghanistan are showing that the days of the front-lines, where the enemy is normally "over there" are gone. It will take some time, but I fully believe that within 20 years there will be a major overhaul and restructure of the US armed forces in a way we have never ever seen before.

4. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

I honestly do not seeing it happening. :dunno: I think it sounds gay, personally. But Im sure thats probably because I wouldnt want to give up my dress blues:lupie:

5. brackac

Do you think service pride is the reason why we still have seperate services? And if we did become one service would the Army be the governing authorithy, due to it being the largest?

6. StuDLei

I thought you had to "do your boots and uniforms" bro? ;)

7. StuDLei

In all honesty, I just cannot see it happening. Kids that join the military join a branch. And they join whatever branch they do join, for certain reasons.

I just cannot picture a "combined" service where we all wear the same uniforms and are part of the same branch. I think it would take alot out of joining the service. People join the Navy because well, they want to be in the navy. Marines join the Marines because they want to be jarheads.. so on and so forth. I think it would be much harder to recruit people without the seperate branches most importantly.

8. StuDLei

Plus we'd have to repaint all the ships that say NAVY and all that other BS:)

9. Ranger-AO

I'm not saying it will be one single service. But there will be a unified command (not just the Joint Chiefs).

10. StuDLei

damn bro. good on gettin the wifey to pick ur shit up.

Just be glad yall can still wear the fungle jungle boots. I fucking hate the new tan shit we have..fucking hate it.

It only took you 5 minutes to polish that shit though?
    No spit shine eh? :coolugh:

11. brackac

But how much money would the military save in advertising alone? If there is only one service, why advertise? People are going to join the military regardless of if they advertise.

12. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I don't think the intentions are to have a single integrated force, nor will it ever happen. The simple fact is that the services don't play nice together, it's the whole inter-service rivalry amongst other reasons. The truth is that all the services need each other, and integrating just some of the C2 infrastructure makes a huge difference, not only do we not have zoomies droping JDAMs on grunts, but we also have a joint effect that is not only land or air or sea based, but a nightmare for the enemy.

13. Ranger-AO

There is Something Big about the seperate service histories, though, that you can't ignore or "engineer" out of the equation.

The Marines are probably the most glued to their traditions and history of all the branches. Their battles and the honor of their fallen heroes are hammered into them over and over until it's a part of every drop of their blood. You can't just legislate that away. There will still be seperate branches of the military. There will have to be.

14. brackac

So will SOCOM eventually evolve into it's own seperate branch of service?

15. brackac

I fully understand why we have seperate branches. But with todays urban battlefield and the lines of responsibility blurred between the Marines and Army to a point where you can no longer see the line, what is the purpose of either the Marine Corp or the Army Infantry? You could do away with one or the other. And increase the Army MP Corp to handle the police actions. Throw in the Expeditionary Airmen concept, which includes TACP, Combat Controllers, Combat Weather, PJs and various other Air Force jobs, and the mission is becoming more important than tradition and history.

16. StuDLei

I think service pride is the reason we still have seperate services, yes. I dont think we could ever do away with it.

And as far as advertising, I think we'd have recruiting problems with no different branches, therefore, we would have to spend more $ advertising.

I will agree that there is hard time drawing the line in the current war we are in now as far as whos responsible for what.

17. StuDLei

thought you told me they were unauthorized?

18. StuDLei

:big grin: