SRS How/Where to meet new people?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Drifter87, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I guess a little background about myself. I'm 22, graduated from college in May '09 and I got a good job that is 8 hours away from my home town. My current hobbies are shooting, autocrossing, miniature games, sailing, golfing, and working out. So to put it simple, I don't know very many people here. Back home I have an army of friends, but that does not do me any good where I am now...

I have to say work takes up most of my life, my hours seem to range from 40-50 hours a week. So far I am the youngest person in my office at age 22, I believe the next youngest person is in their early 30's. Plenty of nice people, but obviously their family comes first, so no one is ever up for a beer or grabbing dinner as a group.

I figured I would meet people through my hobbies, but it just seems they all become acquaintances and all they are interested in is that hobby. I also have very male heavy hobbies I have noticed, so I realize the chance of me meeting a girl is slim, but even finding a group of guys to hangout with is proving to be hard.

I have tried hitting the bars, but from my experience I only really find "friends" and "flings" for the night. If I do start dating a girl I met at a bar, it never really gets far.

So I guess does anyone have suggestions on where to meet new friends or dating worthy girls? I am always up for new things and ideas. Just with work and the gym, my weekdays are tight, but my weekends are fairly wide open.

2. themolsen

themolsen New Member

3. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.53 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Meetup.com make friends thru this trust me

4. Sirian

Sirian New Member

Try an online dating site? Obviously don't give up trying to meet people in real life, but what's the harm in having another outlet to try to meet people on? Plus, if you are halfway decent looking with a job and a car girls will flock to you on online dating because you are already better than 75% of the people who use it.

5. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

Look up online motorsports forums and then go to their meets. socialize.

As far as women, there are usually co-ed sports clubs that you can join. The ones around Houston play dodgeball, softball, football.

Try to find any groups that go jogging one day every week.

Find young professional networking groups to join.

6. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

A couple of suggestions that have worked for me, is to join a bowling league, or a co-ed softball team. Of the two, the bowling league was a lot more productive.

7. 60druidgurubash

60druidgurubash OT Supporter

im in the same boat. a large part of the reason why i am going to go to grad school. dont know anybody. hard to make friends. work sucks. hate wehre i live. i just want things to be the way they were when i was in college.

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I would drop that attitude, if I were you. you have to move forward with life. I can understand wanting to meet people and have a good time, but...

9. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Volunteer most definitely. Quality girls at almost every volunteer opportunity and if you volunteer for something you really enjoy, you'll meet some guys with a shared interest and you could hang out later.

Join the community at large. Take some non-stressful but creative classes like sculpting or metalworking or painting. The ratio of girls to guys is very high. Take a creative writing class or a screenwriting class. Maybe some acting thing like improv. That's always fun and the people always hang out after and drink.

If you aren't one of those insecure guys you can even take something like yoga or meditation classes at your gym. The benefits are amazing and you are in a class with girls that you know are limber (But don't take it just to pick up girls because it will show and besides, there really are great benefits. I've been doing it for 5 years).

Start your own group and advertise in libraries, universities, etc... Make sure it's something you really enjoy and are fairly good at. People will come and it can build up into something quite large.

What we do up here in the mountains is advertise for a ride or to get a ride to the hills one day. Put out flyers on campus and over the course of a winter season you'll have shared 2 hour rides with all sorts of crazy people.

Take a more serious course like getting your bronze cross or medallion in swimming.

Learn an instrument and get in a band. Depending on your dedication and talent you can end up in most bands fairly soon as most live music at bars now is easy to play. Once you get in with a band playing a style that you like you'll be introduced to a lot of people. They are also quite close knit and you'll never be bored on the weekends.

Basically, just get out there and enjoy life and you'll meet so many people it'll be crazy.

Invite your neighbours or people you meet with the above activites to your house for a large dinner. Or potluck, whatever. This can end up being a semi-monthly or even weekly thing. I did it with my good friend and we ended up with 8 other people we would eat with every Sunday night. We did this for 6 months and now I can call up any of these guys/girls and hang out.

Really though all of this is investing in yourself and doing what makes you happy. People naturally flock to that. It's the same as picking up women as it is friends.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  10. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Not to be harsh, but GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE/ROOM/APT/BED.

Go volunteer, join intramural-sports, join a gym, join a religion, meet friends of friends.

11. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I would agree with the volunteering thing. I haven't lately, but I did a lot in college and met some really great people of both sexes with similar values as me. It really felt nice.

Habitat for Humanity, if there's one near you, is an AWESOME group to work with and you learn some valuable skills for home improvement/construction/maintenance.

12. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I have to say I'm never really ever in my apartment except to sleep, maybe eat, and sometimes watch a movie. I'm normally out and about, heck I don't even play video games!

The volunteering thing sounds like a great idea. I use to be an EMT and I have been thinking about signing up with a local fire department here to be an EMT again. I held off at first because I wanted to get settled in my new job. I will look into other options as well, habitat for humanity I have heard good things about.

Dating websites... I have heard mixed things from, but I guess it does not hurt to try. Plus if all it takes is decent looks, a good job, and a car... well I'm already ahead of the game! Just hopefully wont get any gold diggers.

My company come next year is going to be paying for me to go get my masters degree, so I will be going back to school a nights, but that is not for another ~7 months.

I will give it a shot! A lot of my hobbies are summer hobbies, so lets see were these others take me.

13. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

for sure do yoga....ive had friends who did it and they swear its the place to meet girls

14. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

A little advice from someone older...overtime is nice and all that but don't be one of those guys thats a slave to their job. Before you know it you'll be in your 30s-40s with no social life, no this didn't happen to me but I see this at work all the time. I think theres sites like dating sites but to meet new people not just for dating. Habitat for Humanity is fun lots of college age people and women do it :bigthumb:

15. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

join some clubs

16. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

this is a dangerous slope... you don't want to become a professional student... it's just sad...

You are done with college, you should look forward and move on

17. pbjsammich

pbjsammich New Member

Definitely agree with volunteering....maybe get a group together from work to make it a little more comfortable.

Don't know if you're a churchy person, but just about every church has a singles group....often do activities with other church's singles groups.

One of my more successful places to meet people was coed sports. Should be able to find some city leagues pretty easy, or again, get your workplace involved.

Dating website....well, I met my wife off a dating website, so I'm one to recommend them. However, I'm not sure if you're looking to meet a girl so much as to get hooked into a social network of some sort there. Not sure if this is really something I'd highly recommend, especially with your comment on missing college so much.

I'll actually make a suggestion against what another said about working some longer hours at your job. I dove into my work after college, and it has paid off nicely for me 5 years later. Keep it under control, but also keep in mind these are the building blocks to your career. I still had plenty of time for a social life as well. It felt good to be busy.

Good luck to you!

18. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

Why?

i just started grad school and having a fun time, being broke lol.

its a nice change of scenery, now that I'm in Montreal and don't know any french and could only get a shitty job,

I bet if I was living in Toronto I would be working full time right now but then I wouldn't experience anything new.

19. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

This

20. rYu

rYu OT Supporter

you should try getting in contact with your old friends