How well do you think this would work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, May 27, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I'm learning more about OS X Leopard Server, but I want to have something to play around with. I'm thinking about buying a G4 1.25 Ghz Mac Mini, maxing out the RAM to 1 GB then installing 10.5 Server on it. It meets all the requirements, but I'm not sure how great it'll run. It doesn't need to host multiple websites or do anything extensive. It's mainly just to learn all of the Server features. What do you think?

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It will run like shit. I had 10.5 server on a machine with the same specs and it couldn't even play a simple MPEG movie without pausing all the time. Gonna have to be something a bit more powerful with more RAM.

3. hurleyint1386

It seems like if it will run Leopard fine, then it should run server fine because it's the same specs. Do you know what boggs it down?

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Not sure. I installed it and did a minimal install. Tried doing a couple general things but even waiting for the dock to pop up took a couple seconds. Just said fuck it and restored from my 10.4 backup. Use the machine as a file server so it's not like it's getting hit hard with high processor intensive requests. Seems that even though the minimum RAM requirement for Leopard is 1GB, the OS runs like crap with anything less then 2GB.

5. hurleyint1386

I just installed Leopard on my sisters 12" powerbook and upgraded from 256 to 1.25 gigs of ram, and it runs leopard fine. I might be able to get my hands on a G5 PowerMac to do it on instead and I can upgrade it to 4 gigs of ram. It will cost more, but it might be my best bet