WEB How Website for Windows Server FTP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChatChai, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I'm not sure if I'm asking the right question here but I did my best. I have a good enough understanding of basic html and css but that is about it. I'm willing to learn which is why I'm putting myself through this to try since it's my own server. I've seen this done on some sites and I was just curious how they did it because I've been using the basic fireftp with firefox to connect but I thought a website would be cool to try to do. I'm not sure if I'm surfing for the right terms but every time I try I get services or companies that offer a web based FTP but don't exactly explain how to do it on your own. Or maybe it's just that difficult. Here is one site that I saw it on, for reference.

http://raventek.net/projects.php

When you click on one of them it prompts for a user name and password then takes you to a list of files. It looks like its PHP. Is this the only way to do it and are there sites that anybody knows of that gives some instructions on this? Or am i asking too much here for a newbie to all this website stuff.

2. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Are you just looking for a way to browse your files and dirs over http instead of ftp?

You can enable this in IIS by ticking the Directory Browsing option in Home Directory tab of the website properties.

That would be the most basic thing you could do without having to do any coding.

3. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I want to create a one page website that will have some general information but then have a second page that will have link to different projects with different user names and passwords. Similar to the link I provided.

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I don't think an ftp browser would be the best solution for that. You can get a shared web host and domain for dirt cheap these days and easily set up password protected directories yourself through the control panel.

It could be done from a home computer but would be slow as shit and really unreliable.

5. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I moonlight from my main job to do small work here and there and alot of times I have to send them files. What I have been doing to make it easier for them, is to send a direct link to download straight off of.

I've sent the FTP site with user name and password but the problem is for the normal user it is very intimidating for them. I happened to mention this to someone I know and that is why he mentioned the link I provided and how easy it was for him to get his files. I think the website thing is just more friendly and less intimidating.

6. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

7. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Looking at the tour, have you used this as well? Only asking because I wanted to ask a few questions. Does allow for multiple public folders? When giving out the public link does it password protected since they don't have a dropbox account? Do I have control over the public link? The last question is because it's much easier for someone to remember, for example, www.mycompany.com then it is https://208.57.90.120/dropbox/company/files.

The website solution was to solve the easy to find, easy to log in and easy to get files dilemma I'm having.

Thanks for the link though I can see myself using it still for something else if it doesn't work out for what I want. Of course if you cannot answer the above questions I will continue to investigate.

8. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure the pictures folder is the only thing that's public. I've got it installed, but don't use it all that often. It works excellent though. If you give me your email address, I'll share a folder with you so you can see how it works.

That's really not going to apply with dropbox, but just fyi, the only thing a domain name does is point to an ip. For example I've got one of my domain names house.myurl.com pointed to my home IP address, in case I ever need anything remotely.

In your example you gave, if you registered mycompany.com you would point it to 208.57.90.120 , http://mycompany.com/mypage.html would really just be the equivalent of http://208.57.90.120 /mypage.html

9. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

PM'd. So it does not allow for multiple public folders to be displayed but rather the same folder each time. I would like to separate the different jobs into different folders and with different access rights.

doh! Of course. I don't know what I was thinking =)

10. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

nothing yet on my email. Should it take this long? Email I sent is correct.

11. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

how about now?