MMA how useful is aikido?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by SquirtRussel, Jan 3, 2007.

1. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

enrolled in judo, tai chi, and aikido for next semester along with my other classes... but im wondering if i should just drop aikido, a big percentage of the moves seem to be fairly inapplicable.

thoughts?

2. SquirtRussel

werd, i figure judo will be a better and more useful class

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

where is this

I thought you used to train with Fairtex in SF

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've wanted to take Judo for some time now. It's well rounded and even though I don't like all the striking, the throws are what really attract me.

Aikido is entirely defensive and as stated it's a TMA, which really won't have much application in real life... But it may be fun to take :dunno: depends what you're seeking

5. SquirtRussel

stopped that in sept due to time and money

ill go back eventually, but i think ill go to bunkerds fight and fitness if i do go back, its cheaper. i really do miss it. but this is a way to get units and kill 2 birds with 1 stone

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you get college units through training martial arts? PE creds or something?

7. SquirtRussel

GE (Humanities and Creative Arts)

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

so you can get the same credits for sociology as you could judo?

that's retarded :rofl: but then again I'm going to the same school as you this fall so I guess I should make peace with it.

BTW how much did fairtex cost?

9. Kuet

Kuet New Member

word, judo is really cool, i love seeing it used successfully in mma-karo, nakamura come to mind...i think judo is really sweet, i thought it was pretty gay until itr452 made me go to a couple classes, and sure, i havent been back there in a while, but its fun as hell !!

10. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Aikido is very useful. Most people think that the moves and techniques are supposed to be used literaly so at first glance it may seem useless since no attacker will ever say "Here grab my hand." However if you are able to incorporate the energy transfers, basic knowledge of positioning, and footwork into a more lethal art then it would be more worth your time. You can't take aikido thinking it's the art that will enable you to hurt other people and allow you to enter MMA tournaments practicing solely this art and come out a winner. If your objective is just to become more well rounded and expand your mental and physical (less so) game I would choose aikido. It would probably be a real nice base for Judo. BUT, if all you are seeking is something that is applicable then only take Judo and drop aikido and tai chi.

11. teep

teep New Member

I can really only tell you two things about aikido. Steven Segal did it and it gets me real fired up and pissed off when this one guy I train with sometimes keeps going for different wrist locks and small joint manipulations. He did aikido for a while so he tries to use those as set ups to other things. Judo is alot of fun, but if you go somewhere good that teaches the right way the first week or two will be the most boring thing ever. You'll be doing the same basic drills over and over (different steps, learning to fall, etc). It's all fun from there though. The only reason I quit is because I can't stand the gi.

12. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

from what I've seen, Aikido is only effective after mucho practice. I don't think it would be applicable in MMA, at least not at a beginner/intermediate level.