How useful is a B&W G3?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

My boss gave me a Blue & White G3 he had that has a bad motherboard. Not sure of the CPU speed since "About this Mac" doesn't show it when booting from the CD (doesn't see the HD either but it works-tested it). It has 192mb of RAM in 2 slots and I'm assuming the CPU is in the 300mhz range.

I've looked on eBay and found mobo/cpu combo's for as high as $50 w/a 450mhz chip. I plan on keeping it to dick around with or try to throw OSX on it.

The case is in surprisingly great shape. Aside from a scuff on one of the apple logos's on the side, it is scratch free. I'm going to have the guy in the paintbooth here shoot the blue parts black so it's a nice monochrome look and not as cartoony.

2. Vansterdam

Vansterdam Clown on her...

upgrade that mofo

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

either upgrade and sell it on ebay...or sell it as is. i don't think osx will run as good as you want it to on that

4. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Well, I just pulled the entire plastic cladding off. Man is that thing a bitch...they really don't want you doing that I guess.

So in one pile I have blue & white plastic, and in the other a shiny box with a pile of screws.

I'm thinking I'll keep the white and take the blue parts into work and have them shot in a charcol matte color.

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I could play Marathon or Myst on it.

6. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

I'd keep it just because it looks pretty! LOL But seriously, I held on to my clamshell ibook for longer than I needed to because its a beautiful piece of mac history.

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I'd keep it.. it would be decent for really basic stuff, and a decent web browsing machine. I have an old iMac 400DV SE that I keep around as a file server and web browser.. works great!

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

darwin server ftw

9. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

OSX runs fine on it. I still have a G3 400 B&W that I use everyday.

10. fuzzystuff

fuzzystuff OT Supporter

i have one i use as a itunes server, just loaded 4 gigs of xmas music and connect from any of my computers