How unhealthy is my 1000 calorie diet

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DizzyEdge, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

I decided I wanted to get rid of my pot belly and out-of-shapeness that I've been in the past... oh.. 15 yrs? So new years was diet time, and for the past 2 wks I've been pretty much holding to it. I suck at cooking so it's pretty much been oatmeal for breakfast, plus a 'diet' frozen dinner for lunch and one for supper (like lean cuisine or whatever), and a clif bar, and two pieces of fruit for snacks. Also, I've been doing a brisk 45 min walk to work, and just some bench presses 3 times a week.

So I check various resting metabolism and activity calculators, and for metabolism it seems to indicate my resting requires 2000 calories a day, yet with what I've been eating I'm only taking in about 1000 calories, and burning off about 250 from my walks.. so 750 calories! Yet... I'm not hungry, the oatmeal fills me up so much and releases energy so slowly I rarely feel a need to snack, and when I do it's the fruit/Clif. But everything I read says my body should be going into starvation mode right about now killing my plans.. so I'm torn, should I start eating another 500 calories a day just for the hell of it even if I'm not hungry?

Cliffs: I'm only eating 1000 calories of healthy food which supposedly puts body into starvation mode but I'm not hungry for more food on a daily basis, should I force 500 more calories into me

??

2. TZ

TZ Banned

two diet frozen dinners...nasty dude...

3. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Haha yeah, well they are having the desired effect, in the sense that after 2 wks I'm getting sick of them so I'm starting to cook the odd meal and that will be increasing, I just needed a no-thought-required way to wean myself off of crap food..that and I probably eat more veggies through those meals than I have in the past.
    I should also qualify that the 'diet' dinners tend to be a little bit of low fat meat and rice/pasta with a lot of veggies.. don't want them to sound like artificially flavoured aspartame nastiness or something, they're not.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

5. :|

:| Guest

happy activity anorexia :mamoru:

6. BarbaraWaltersPegleg

BarbaraWaltersPegleg Irish Guido

7. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

Are you a chick or like four feet tall?

8. Drewski

Drewski New Member

have fun losing muscle and keeping that pot belly

9. xela

xela So say we all!

Not only is that diet unhealthy, but it's pretty drastic which means you won't stick it.

10. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

your metabolism will slow down to try to make it by on 1000 calories a day, you will lose weight now but when your body starts to stabilize and the weight loss slows down and you start eating again you'll throw pounds back on quick before your body once again starts to stabilize it's self.

the crash diet you're doing is exactly what every fat person that complains about gaining weight back does, it doesn't work so as said before in this thread, enjoy losing muscle and then getting even fatter than you were to begin with

on top of that, frozen dinners are packed full of sodium usually and are generally high in fat etc and low in protein. so if you aren't drinking a bunch of water to flush some sodium, well shit lets just say it's shitty food and not much of it and every part of that plan is flawed

11. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

You want to go low on calories, but not so low that your body has to start burning protein for energy.

12. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

Ohh the beatings I'm getting :) But that's ok. I understand that frozen dinners are not exactly... comparable to proper eating, but until 2 wks ago I mostly ate fast food and vending machine offerings, so for me it's a step up! That said, I used to also skip a lot of meals and have been very sedentary. Would the fact I seem fine with 1000 calories without any hunger whatsoever basically mean that my past habits have reduced my metabolism to a glacial pace? I'm thinking I need to double my intake, and make sure my activity levels increase enough to create an appetite for the extra calories, correct? Oh and buy groceries :)

13. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

don't do stuff to your diet that you can't keep up long term, unless it's a special occasion like a wedding or something. unless you're a 4'5" female, you cannot live a healthy life with 1000 calories.

14. :|

:| Guest

you need to find a balance

15. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

Question, exactly how is sodium bad for you? Also, how much water would you need to drink to flush out that sodium, and also, how much sodium is too much for a day? Does it depend on bodyweight, etc?

16. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

The issue is I'm a 5'8 165 lb male and yet 1000 calories a day (from fruit, veggies, lean meat and oatmeal/whole grains) doesn't cause any hunger so could probably be kept up indefinitely... this is what concerns me...it makes me think my metabolism is far too low.

17. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

1000 calories is way to low, you're going to end up looking shittier then you already do.

18. DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge OT Supporter

I checked out some websites and the impression I get is my past practice of some days barely eating, and then others pigging out, is pretty much a stave/binge mode which has put my body into a state where it doesn't want to depend on any more than 800-900 calories a day, ie low metabolism/starvation mode.. so I'm going to force more calories and do more cardio to try to snap it out of that state.

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Forget about the starvation mode. If you ate shitty food, you're probably used to eating a big meal with plenty of carbs and almost no veggies, fruits and fiber, which will keep you full for some time and will take up more space in your stomach.
    For now, just getting a source of good carbs (check out the nutrition edu), about 1 cup of cooked stuff such as rice, potato, pasta and so on, 3 times a day, eat protein and veggies everytime, 1-3 serving of fruits per day, exercise and you're on.

20. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

Swet brah, let us know how this works out for ya... :rofl::ugh2:

My 5,000 are healthier, and I eat like shit.

21. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

Don't be like me.
    I was eating ~1000 cals/day til' F&N saved me. :hs:

22. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

:drool::drool::drool: @ Xela's avatar!!:naughty:

23. xela

xela So say we all!

Doood! Where have you been???

24. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned