GUN How to win over my family?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4W4K3, May 6, 2009.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well I turn 21 on Sunday, and I've been talking about getting myself a small handgun for concealed carry and range plinking. I'm talking mouse gun, .32ACP or maybe .38.
    I've been telling my girlfriend/now wife this for nearly 2 years. I've mentioned it to my parents and my now in-laws as well.

Every single person in my family, is anti-gun. They all tell me that carrying a gun is asking for trouble. I'm more likely to get shot if I carry a gun. I will go to jail if I get caught with a gun, blah blah blah.

I do plan on completing the Texas CCL course before actually carrying the gun. :rolleyes: duh. But they still believe it to be a bad idea.

Other than screaming at them to "EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR FUCKING MOUTH!"...what is a rational, easy to understand method of introducing gun safety and gun rights to the "sheeple" of my family?
    Any tips from people who have gone through this?

I have had a rifle since I was 18. This is shunned as well. It's only a .22lr haha.

I've offered to take anyone who wants to learn to shoot my little .22lr to the gun range, and so far everyone has refused. Kind of disappointing.
    When I have a kid, boy or girl, gun safety and knowledge will be taught from early on. I hope to reverse this paranoia of guns that has been a trend in my family for many past generations. But first...I have to get me a starter pistol, as I am still learning myself.

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

There is no rational from what ive found. Also wouldn't recommend a mouse gun for a first handgun

3. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Put on a ski mask and rob them. Then take the mask off and be like "ah bet you wish you had a gun now, fuckers."

4. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Some people just aren't going to change their minds. Your folks are always going to have a little bit of powdered butt syndrome when it comes to you trying to tell them anything. Since they've powdered your butt they don't have to listen to you. Don't force it, just take it slow. Always temper your info and opinions with love. Be persistent, but not pushy. I wouldn't recommend a .32 as a carry gun, .380 or .38 would be as small a caliber as I would go. Bear in mind "mouse guns" are usually more uncomfortable to shoot than full size guns. If it's uncomfortable you're less likely to practice as frequently.

5. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

i find it amusing that some people in Fort Worth Texas are so anti gun

if you are 21 you are your own man and don't have to justify this to anyone

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I was lucky. My mom just didnt want me spending all my money on guns. I got my dad into building an AK. And my GF just doesnt want me holding my AR when we watch Blackhawk Down and Spy Game.

7. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Literature is a good start. Have you offered to take them shooting?

8. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Good luck :hs:

9. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

get a gun and shove it in their face (indirectly).

ie - "oh and by the way, look......" shock & awe, then acceptance

10. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I always told myself I wouldn't marry someone who was so Liberal and against guns. I did. However, she did shock me today when she said that her and her best friend want to come shooting with me. I was so happy. I guess its because I've got my guns all over the basement and she is forced to look at them when she is around me. :o

11. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

buy a Glock 19

12. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

13. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

My parents are both super anti-gun, especially my mom. I didn't move out until I was 21 and I bought a 10/22 as soon as I moved out. I told them about that and they were okay with the idea after a while and my dad enjoys shooting with me but I haven't gotten my mom out yet. Within that same year of moving out I also bought a glock 19, romanian AK, and an AR. :mamoru:

14. Mark817teg

Mark817teg OT Supporter

Read Texas House Bill 1815, you don't need a CHL to carry your gun several places.

15. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

My favorite thing to do is politely question people's reasoning for what they believe and slowly start to undermine the basis for their anti beliefs. However, you need to be pretty knowledgeable on what antis commonly believe, why they believe it, and be able to inform them the real facts about the often cherry-picked claims that are the foundations of their beliefs.

16. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

This is probably the way to go about it. Ask them about their reasoning and don't seek to correct them, just inform them. For example one of my girlfriend's friends was very anti when I first met her. First time it got brought up we were all wasted at a bar and we got in a huge argument (first time I met her :rofl: ) because she was spouting off a bunch of liberal bullshit and I called her out on it. Next time we talked sober and I asked her why she beleived that it's so wrong to own guns. "Well, I heard that if you own a gun it's more likely to be used against you than it is to save your life." Simple response, "I've heard of similar statistics, but after I looked into it those statistics include suicides and incidents where parents don't keep their guns locked up away from kids."

Just invite them to debate it with you, the main point you need to get across is that when you make a major claim you need to have a source to back it up. "I saw on the news..." or "I know a cop that said..." are not reliable sources.

17. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

This will point you in the right direction..

LINK

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

my mom was pretty anti-gun until i explained to her that she was shunning her only child's favorite hobby :rofl:

19. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

guilt, nice

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i didnt do it majorly. just explained to her that it really makes me happy, relieves stress, etc.

i also told her about some of the IDPA matches i've been to, as well as 3-gun, and took her out to the range a few times.

shes definitely more accepting to what i like to do, but would still never buy a gun herself :hs:

21. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

All it takes is a few serious, on-topic, POLITE talks about why they feel the way they feel. 99.9% of the time you'll expose the typical anti-gun bullshit that they picked up from the media. It's not that they're anti-gun, but that they're just ignorant on the subject.

My parents were this way. Now my dad owns a few handguns, rifles, and shotguns and my mom LOVES shooting my AR-15. I recently installed my Dillon 550B on the workbench in their garage. Our Saturday family outing is to the Winchester factory to shoot skeet. :rofl:

22. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

lock them in a room with a tiger, that has I BET YOU WISH YOU HAD A GUN NOW tattooed on the roof of his mouth.

23. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

has anyone here experienced friends or family being pro-gun or at least ok with them, into an anti-gun person?

my roommate has recently turned into this and i really dont know how to respond to him

24. Was there something specific that made him change his mind?

25. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

unfortunately i believe it is the girlfriend that he has. apparently her father killed himself while cleaning his gun. now i could understand her fear of them more than his. my roommates father conceal carries and has guns meant for home defense at the ready. and my roommate took classes with his father.
    it just does not make sense.