COMIC How to watch japanese programs in the US

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MelloBoy, Apr 24, 2005.

1. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

how to watch Japanese programs in the US
    this requires some money and knowing someone in japan and a broadband connection in addition to some hardware, but is possible now.

Depending on which satelite network your anime of choice typically airs on, the first piece of equipment will vary (the satelite tuner), but other than that, it should all be the same. I will be using the SkyPerfecTV satelite network for reference as they were the ones that aired GITS SAC and SAC2.

Satelite Tuner:
    Sony SAS-DP1SET satelite tuner ~$350

Digital Video Recorder (optional)
    Sony PSX7700 ~$700 (there are other models to choose from...i chose this one because it also has a PS2 built in and what not blah blah blah)

Location Free TV
    Sony LF-X5 or X1 ($1000-$1500)

Subscription to SkyPerfecTV
    i don't remember exact cost...

Broadband connection in Japan and US
    Japan: $20/mo
    US: $40/mo
    though, alot of people are paying $20/mo for 200mbit connection so at the very least i know my friends are willing to loan me bandwidth for free :p

Fee for PayPerView
    $2.50/2 eps of GITS so do the math yourself :p

How does this work?

Essentially, the base unit of the location free TV connects to the internet in Japan, as well as the PSX or the satelite reciever. Having the PSX in between allows for you to record programs so you don't have to be up at 4am to watch your desired program. If you don't mind staying up late, then you don't NEED the PSX. The portable unit of the location free TV can connect to a wi-fi or wired LAN anywhere in the world. Once it's connected, it will communicate with the base unit and the base unit will start transmitting the program that's being broadcast or what not. With the PSX in between the base unit and satelite reciever, you can have the PSX play back recorded programs and what not...furthermore, the portable unit will act as a remote so you can program stuff and what not yourself with that remote.

the downside, you can only watch shows on the portable unit. due to copyright issues and what not, the programs cannot be recorded BUT i'm sure there's ways around it...where there's a will, there's always a way.

my parents are doing this currently, and while they sometimes lose the video occaisionally, for the most part, it works very smoothly. You're looking at a 12inch monitor or 7 inch monitor so it's not the biggest thing in the world, but it's nice to be able to watch my home country's program w/o having to goto the video store to rent it or what not. i'll probably be setting up a unit to do the same as soon as i have some extra money or what not to do this.

and no subtitles or dubs or anything...though stuff like Harry Potter are subbed in japanese :p

2. Sito

Sito Each To Their Own

:coold: dunno if I have the money to pull that off, but very interesting nonetheless

3. MrFaldyn

MrFaldyn MrFaldyn

holy shit. that's costly :eek4:

4. JP

JP Active Member

am i the only one that didnt get the jist of what is going on in that description? :hs:

5. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

umm thx but ill stick to bit torrent

6. §abmudaru

§abmudaru New Member

:werd:

7. Ninjak

Ninjak a REAL clutch pop-up.

very cool stuff. I don't think i'll bother with it. thanks for the info though. :)

8. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

uh yeah.............all i got from that is blah blah blah just go to japan cause it costs too damn much to do all of the above blah blah.

Or do what the most of us do and abuse BT

9. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

sorry
    i don't like waiting 6mo - 1 year for subs to come out :p

10. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

u wait that long? man u need to go find better sources

11. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

well,
    GITS SAC 2nd gig aired the last ep in January
    LFM is still on ep 20

it's been nearly 4mo. already

granted, that's a worst case scenario, but it's nice being able to watch stuff the day it airs or a few days after :p

12. kb

kb New Member

bittorrent>that
    but thats pretty :cool: