How to wash microfiber towels?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Snowed, May 17, 2007.

1. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

:o So the towel I use to dry wasn't cleaned for like 4 washes, and on the last one I think it might have fucked up the paint from being dirty. Or maybe I'm just paranoid and the scratches were already there, but, on to my question. I remember buying them it said not to throw it in with the rest of the clothes in a regular wash, but I threw that stuff away a while ago and don't know what to do now.

So, how should I wash it? It's a 9x9 waffle weave microfiber towel.

2. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I wash all my MF towels all together (i.e. no terry cloth/cotton/etc) with regular detergent, and don't add fabric softener. I usually let them air dry.

Simple.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i use era liquid and use the max water level. i fill a downy ball with distilled white vinegar to remove any leftover detergent in the rinse cycle, then set the extra rinse cycle. i always use hot water to help melt/dissolve/whatever any chemical in the towels. the set my dryer to auto sense dry and use low heat.

if my towels are really grimey, i'll throw in a bit of castrol super clean to help out. or if I've used some heavy dressing.

i've heard some guys use the spiked dryer balls to give towels some fluff and decrease static.

edit, no fabric softner. it will decrease absorbancy from what i understand. mine had a dryer sheet in with them once, so i rewashed them and had no issues.

4. XPX

XPX New Member

liquid soap, full rinse setting and air dry

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Liquid soap, about half what you would normally use,hot water, double rinse, warm (not hot) dry setting on my dryer.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Make sure the liquid soap has no fabric softener or bleaching agents in it. Even color safe bleaches can be problematic. It can chemicly melt the strands.

I usually use a Free & Clear laundry detergent to remove any doubt of there being any thing that could damage the MF strands. Wash in warm to hot water, maximum water level. Usually let them air dry to prevent lint pick up in teh dryer.

7. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

Thanks for the help guys. I was just about to hand wash them. :rofl: