how to vary time between exercise/sports

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by rogueslg71, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

right now i'm going to the gym probably twice a week just to run on the treadmills and if my friend is there sometimes he helps me use the weights a little (i hate going to that side by myself since it is all guys). i also play tennis (beginner) an average of 4 days a week now, each time between 90 minutes to 180 minutes.

at first playing that long wasn't so bad because since i wasn't good at all a lot of time was spent rounding up the balls again and learning rules instead of running around playing. but now i'm slowly working up to actually having some rallies and i think i am tearing my arms/legs up because i keep scheduling to play almost every weekday cause i love to practice and play more.

how do you vary your time between exercise/sports? for example this past week i played monday then tuesday, by tuesday i felt some burn in my arm and legs but i thought itd be okay to play wednesday. after wednesday my thighs and arms felt insane but i couldnt cancel thursday because thats when i have the tennis class i'm in. i originally planned to play friday too because i was going to be at the school for a few hours but i canceled because it was still hurting.

will it be okay to just play again once i 'feel' like its not hurting anymore or should i lay off for a few more days ? also if im feeling a small burn (like after the first two days), should i rest until its completely gone before going out again? this is the first time i've ever really tried to be regularly active with something so i'm sort of new to it. thanks for any helpful responses that might come

2. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

Keep high intensity tennis and weights on the same day, and keep at least 48 hours in between high intensity days. Do low intensity stuff (treadmill, light tennis practice) on the days in-between.

3. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

thanks i'll give that a try this coming week to see if it helps :)

4. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

ASIT will have the most immediate beneficial effects for you

5. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

thanks, what is ASIT stand for though? searched a little but couldnt find the meaning , just it being used around here

6. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Well, how many hours a week total are you playing tennis and what level of intensity? Next, how much are you sleeping? What was your level of activity before you started getting into tennis? Upped your protein intake?

If you were only going to the gym twice a week to dink around on the treadmills, chances are you weren't in that great of shape to immediately jump face fist into playing 8 hours of tennis a week. Your body has not yet adapted to your new level of activity. It may be a good idea to ax the tredmill for a couple of weeks, and slowly reintroduce it once you feel like your body can handle more of it.

7. NUDES

NUDES New Member

ass shot in a thong

8. rogueslg71

rogueslg71 New Member

3 hours a week (class time when i have the tennis class), then plus 3-5 hours outside of that, probably like medium intensity. i sleep like around 8 hours a night very well right now. i'm currently trying to get back into waking up earlier so i can be more productive in the morning(right now i'm waking up between 8-9 am on average). before this semester started i wasn't playing any sports and i went to the gym 3-4 times a week to get on the treadmill and run a little (between 45 minutes to 90 minutes, depending on how late i get there cause i do it before class). i have not upped or downed my protein intake or changed my diet.

i'm going to try to just go to the gym between tennis days and only play once more during the week (besides the two class times) instead of multiple times .

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  9. Abomb

Abomb New Member

so do you ever plan on delivering on the ASIT?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.