how to...v. desktop password

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Phat_J, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

Is there anyway at all to reset a computers desktop password without knowing the current one? Somebody found out my friends and changed it on him. He runs windows XP but doesnt know if it is home or premium. Is this possible to do?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

if he remembers the password for the account named administrator, reboot into safe mode, log on as administrator and in control pannel under users, there's an option to reset the password for any account there. If he doesn't remember that password, there's a bunch of different boot cd's out there that will help you reset the administrator password and then you can reset the user one.

3. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

so in the account name box put administrator? and then his password? If he is the administrator would the user account be a separate password from the administrator account?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can reset the password on any user account through the Local Users and Group section of the Computer Management Console, accessed by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting "Manage..." from the popup menu.

The catch is you must be logged in as another user with Admin permissions for it to work.

5. peerk

peerk New Member

Also try to log in as administrator with a blank password. A lot of times it is left blank.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

google windows linux password recovery

you should be able to make a boot disk that uses a small linux program to reset the windows password, you can also select what user's password to reset
    it will not tell you the password though, i think you need a program called cain and able for that

7. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Google "NT Offline Password & Registry Editor"
    I find it works best to use it to blank out the Administrator password. I've tried using it to set a new Administrator password a few times, only to reset and find it still not working. But blanking the password always works.

8. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

How do you reboot into safe mode?

9. peerk

peerk New Member

f8

Hit it right before you see the loading windows screen.

10. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

UPDATE: Rebooting into safe mode and logging on as administrator worked. Thanks for the help dudes.