How to use the front audio ports

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hyukki, Dec 28, 2006.

1. hyukki

hyukki ._.

So I bought an Audigy 4 a while back and I've had a 5.1 speaker system hooked directly onto the sound card. I have an HP m7470n Media Center desktop which has the front audio ports... I want to use them with my sound card but I do not know how to connect them together. I see some cables from the audio ports to the motherboard but I don't want to pull out anything out since I have no idea which one is which. :hs: I'll probably find out which one is which though. :x:

Anyone know if I can pull out the cable and connect it directly to the sound card to use those front ports? I'd like to hook up my mic and headphones on it.

2. peterthesmart

peterthesmart New Member

Its possible, but you're gonna have to read through the instructions for your audigy. Connecting something to the wrong pin could cause some serious damage to your system.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can't use the front ports with any Audigy card. Creative Labs stopped supporting the FP_AUDIO standard after they had to put up with a hail of RMAs from people who fried their cards by plugging in FP-AUDIO connectors that didn't comply with the standard perfectly. If you want front audio with your Audigy, you're going to have to use Creative's proprietary drive-bay control panel.

EDIT: Creative Labs and Dell have a deal where Dell agrees to take responsibility for any and all failures, and Creative supplies them with a special small, white connector on the Audigy card plus a cable to connect it to Dell's proprietary front-panel audio ports. So it's great if you have a Dell (which you don't), but unless you want to perform surgery on your HP case to install Dell's proprietary front-panel audio ports (which would be a total waste of time), you're SOL.