How to upload digital videos onto a PC?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cc00gt, Apr 1, 2002.

1. cc00gt

cc00gt Foosballin'

I am new to digital video recording and therefore do not have much know-how. The camcorder is a JVC-GR-DVM-75 miniDV and I have only a slight idea of how to get the video onto a PC. It's my understanding that a video capture card is required. Do I need anything else, software or hardware? What else do I need to know to make the process easier? Also, please feel free to comment on the camera itself, is it good or bad, or is there another camera in it's price range ($600-$800) that is of better quality?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

yeah, a IEE1394, or firewire card is what you need. Check ebay for a firewire card, and some bundled software. I recommend Ulead videostudio; its really easy to use...pretty straightforward.

3. cc00gt

cc00gt Foosballin'

Thanks for the info. Any comments on the camcorder?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

5. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

My sister recently purchased a JVC digicam which required no more than a USB interface. I'm not well versed in this area but I was able to transfer video to her computer using the plain USB connection. There are camcorders out there that are simplified like this, look around and see.

6. tekknikal

tekknikal Nothing's ever been better than that

Canon makes good miniDVs that are in this price range as well... the ZR series I think.

http://www.canondv.com

and yeah, check cnet.com deja.com and epinions.com first before you buy.

7. cc00gt

cc00gt Foosballin'

Thanks for the information:bigthumb: I'll try to find a copy of MGI Suite this weekend and start messing with the program. Why exactly are you suggesting not using the digital zoom (this model only has 10x optical), video quality?

8. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

yeah, digital zoom pixelizes the shit out of the images, and makes the quality turn to shit. I don't know why companies even put that on cameras.

It can be effective, maybe up to 2x, or 5x at the most. But if you try to use the 200x or so, you can barely keep the camera still to used all that zoom, and you'll see how bad the quality is. I have digital zoom turned off on all of my cameras. I never use it.

If you want more zoom, get lenses.

9. cc00gt

cc00gt Foosballin'

Laser Red,

Do you have any suggestions for easy to use (read: inexpensive) software? With my luck, I will be unable to find MGI Videosuite.

10. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest

I'm not up to date on the current software out there, but I use Uleadvideo studio...it came with the firewire card I purchased off ebay. The total package was $60 if I remember right.

If you haven't already purchased a firewire card, heres a good one, the auction ends in a few hrs..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1342968707

11. Laser Red

Laser Red Guest