How to unlock DVD-ROM drive region lock?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Marcos, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

I have a sony R600 HFPD laptop, the DVD drive is locked to region 2.

Anyone know?

2. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

IBthreadlock

3. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Oh come on, whats wrong with that :dunno:

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Oh boy...

DVD region codes are part of the copy protection scheme of DVDs and DVD players. Technically speaking, to circumvent this is to break the laws set out by the DMCA (I will say I'm not a fan of the DMCA due to all the restrictions it imposes).

Basically, you've forgotten that you have no rights when you have a DVD (technically, you don't even have the right to make backups, but there's some other fair use laws that make this a really gray area). But this isn't what you're posting about.

You're starting to bump into the digital rights of the DVD in question. Digital rights specify how the digital content can be played back (much like rules). The copyright owner (the entity that made the DVD in question that isn't working with your DVD player) has decided the region you are in shall not play their DVD (I don't understand why or why not, its just something they did).

In the end, you have a couple approaches:
    Buy the DVD that is for your region.
    Buy a DVD player for that region
    Buy a really dumb DVD player that doesn't care about regions (can they still be found? did they ever exist?)

Because the DMCA is very nasty, not only to those who break the laws of DMCA, but those who HELP others in breaking the laws of the DMCA, any threads we feel they may touch upon this subject are (and without question) locked. Much like this one.

At this point, you're probably pretty ticked. Either with me, with CP, or with Fazle and all of OT. You're welcome to:

PM me to discuss the issues to why this thread was locked
    Find another source for information
    Read up the DMCA, why it pretty much sucks (its not all bad - just a lot of parts) and why you should vote (if you're of voting age)
    Create a new topic to discuss the particulars of these issues - just note we will not allow discussion of circumvention (but discussion of the laws involved and how OT handles them is fair game).

I don't normally spend this much time on a thread destined to be closed (note to self: bookmark this thread!)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.