How to tell if laptop is stolen.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ariez, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

So my sister bought a macbook off craiglist, however the security lock plate thing was broken. she did not notice it until 3 days later (the laptop was in otherwise great shape and didnt bother checking the side).

There is a warranty left on it and when check on Apple support site it says warranty is still supported. I call the guy that she bought the laptop from and he assured us it was not stolen and stated if it was stolen it would be on Apple's Blacklist. (No idea what that meant). He also will not offer a refund because its been a week.

I do not want to post the serial number here but is there anyways to find out if its stolen? And if it is what can we do about it?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i guess call apple up and tell them...perhaps it was taken from a store and they will replace it for you...or arrest you, who knows

3. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

I guess I will do that...but they wont take the laptop away and leave us with nothing right? Because if thats the case i rather just keep the damn thing.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

just keep it, dont risk

5. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Yea but the thing is that she need to use the security lock because she plan to use it on campus.

6. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

i can ask tomorrow if we have a black list or something, find out more info for you? :dunno:

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

this might be your best bet. the original poster should PM his info to this guy

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I was told once that apple doesnt service stolen laptops, but they have to be reported to apple first i guess. Apple care should be able to tell you over the phone.

9. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

honestly, if you have the guys info from craigslist, I'd call apple and find out. If it is stolen, then get the police involved and go from there. I'd imagine you'd feel pretty shitty if someone stole your laptop and sold it to someone, and that someone thought it might be stolen but did nothing about it.

10. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

I would feel shitty, that why i want to find out if its stolen. And again, I do not want to be the guy who got the worst end of the deal (Laptop goes back to the person that lost it, dude got my sisters money, and she left with nothing but a lost of 1100).

11. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

Sent you a pm. :hs: