How to swim right?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ckyummy, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ckyummy

ckyummy New Member

Hello friends, I had a broken appendix last year, and the fucking doctors just thought i ate something wrong. Because of this I have a huge scar on my body, which is alright, because I am still good in shape. But this winter I had a hernia due to the fact I did too much sport, so another surgery followed. Now my doctor told me I can start sport slowly (usually I play basketball and do fitness). He told me I can swim,

now the questions:

- Which swimming style is not to abdominals stressing?
    - Is chest swimming a good training, I dont know because its not that exhausting like crawling.
    - If I want to have good outcomes, how often and long shall I swim per wee (sorry, swimming is sometimes boring for me, how can i make it more interesting)k?
    - How do I crall correct. I pedal with the feet like when I am riding a bike, I think I should move my feet stretched, but when I do this I sink. :ugh: How can I learn this?

Or another hints to a newbie from you pro swimmers :) .

Thanks a lot

2. AaronOC

AaronOC Guest

cave, lock this thread with swiftness

3. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

I was on my High School swim team for 4 years... I'd say it takes a lot of time and a lot of practice to get your strokes down correctly. I only did freestyle and back stroke. I don't think abs aren't really play a huge role in your stroke, probably mostly from the flip turn.

To make it more interesting, you'd either have to have a waterproof mp3 player or someone to compete with. This is also why I started to lift to lose weight instead of swimming because I had no one to chase.

It's a little difficult to give pointers without seeing your stroke. I'd say you should concentrate on breathing, skulling of the water, proper kicking form, alignment, and timing.

when you kick, you should only rotate around your hip bone. Bending your knees dramatically actually works against you. You can bend them slightly but do not bend them very much.

but overall, swimming is really a slow way to lose weight. We would swim somewhere around 7,000 yards at practice per day (25 yards per length of the pool) and I probably only lost about 10 lbs during an entire season. Only good reason to swim is that it is good on your heart and knees, but other then that running would probably be easier and less time consuming. Plus you can listen to you music while running too.

hope that helps somewhat, if you have questions let me know...

4. ckyummy

ckyummy New Member

Whats wrong?

5. ckyummy

ckyummy New Member

Thanks a lot, I dont really need to lose weight, I want to keep my muscles and get new ones :big grin:. I am not corpulent, so this is no reason for me to swim. Prior is to not lose my defined physique

6. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

I'm not sure about this, but I've been told that swimming elongates the muscles and makes them more dense. So really you might be losing size if you swim a lot. But I don't think swimming really is a good thing to do when you're trying to consider acquiring more mass.

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

sprint training built my shoulders, pecs, abs, upper body in general like crazy.

lower body not so much.

my advice, read as much as you can and watch as many swim videos as you can to get the form and technique right.

http://www.wa.swimming.org.au/coaching/videos/

has a ton of videos of the top swimmers for the past 12 or 16 years (lotta olympics, lotta world champs)

and jsut get in the pool and do it. have someone else to swim with. race against. show you the ropes of good swimming.

it's an amazing feeling to glide underwater like nothing, then on your first stroke pull up outa the water explosively.

8. ckyummy

ckyummy New Member

Thanks a lot. How do you move your feet a woman I asked told me you have to do it with your hip, but I dont really understand. Which kind of exercises do you suggest to learn this quickly?

9. nosnikliw0

nosnikliw0 I am the cheese.

Good call, no valuable information came from this thread. :rolleyes:

10. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

the AV in this thread is overwhelming

11. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

the # of 06's in this thread is astonishing. contribute something useful you prick.

12. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

i do...my money you cheap fuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.