SRS How to structure my time

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BwanaKuu, Jun 30, 2009.

1. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

So, I'm 19, rising college sophomore and I've had a bit of a problem since I've graduated from HS. In HS, there was one big focus for me: get into a good college. Things were pretty structured, you go in at this time, leave at this time, do homework, chill then do it again. Course schedules were pretty structured as well, some flexibility but not much. I ran XC and track so I was always busy after school as well and by the time I was done with my homework (which took 3-5 hours every night), I was exhausted and just played some video games for an hour or so before I fell asleep.

However, now that I hardly have any structure to my life, I feel so lost and overwhelmed. For example, during the summer, I have no idea wtf to do with myself. So I end up usually just thinking of a bunch of stuff to do and never doing it because I keep thinking of more stuff. I just don't know what to choose. Same problem during college, though I was good with time management and always got my work done, during my free time I really didn't know what to do with myself.

I can never seem to decide what to do so I make no choice at all and I would like to make a choice but I'm never confident in my choices. I had a job for the first part of summer but that was only1-2x a week and now I'm taking a class but that's only a few hours everyday.

Besides what to do with my free time, I just feel really lost in general. I have no idea what direction i want to take in life and it seems to kind of "paralyze" me. It's as if I'm scared to make decisions so I just decide not to do anything which just makes things worse. There just seems to be too many choices and I've gone over so many now that it's kind of like my brain just konks out whenever I try to decide anything.

NOTE: I didn't know whether to post this here or in the asylum, figured here since it's not that serious of a mental issue. :dunno:

2. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I would consider working more this summer for sure. You don't have a hobby? I love working on my music is the summers, since it's the only time that I don't have other work that is pressing my personal time. Even as we speak, I'm building my 7th computer from scratch. It's best to figure out what you like to do with your free time. More than that, it'll help you pick a degree that fits your persona.

3. oakback

oakback New Member

For the day-to-day time management, makes lists, and schedules. I keep a schedule on my outlook calendar, sync it with my google calendar, and my ipod touch. I keep a task list in Outlook, and print it daily and carry it with me. It's overkill, but it makes my life easier, and I don't get nearly as overwhelmed as I would without it.

Always put SOMETHING on your schedule or to-do list. If you have nothing, come up with something, then stick to it.

I misplaced my ipod touch a few days ago, my life is noticeably more difficult.

4. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I built my current computer last summer and it doesn't really need anything upgraded. The only real hobbies I've ever had are computers and games though I used to be really into music (trumpet for 7 years). And games just feel way too unproductive to be doing all the time. :o I guess I should just start trying things? :dunno: Can't really get a job anymore as I can only work for the next 8 weeks and most places won't let you sign up for just that plus I'd have to get hours after 1ish since I'll be in class till then.

Well, getting the important stuff done is never a problem, I've always been a work first, play later type of person so it gets done. Maybe I should just tell myself to do other stuff and force myself to do it.

5. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I write a "to do" list in a notepad on my desktop and then each day I just do it. I cross things off and add new ones. Some of the things I add are crazy. Add whatever comes to mind and then just pick something.

I usually pick easy stuff at first. Fold laundry, wash dishes, repair car, study Italian, etc. Sometimes I'll write shit that other people would think was crazy. "Pick up random girl. Go to bed early, install air conditioner, -- whatever you think at any time. Just write it all out in a simple list, then pick things off."

It works for me, and I even set alarms on my cell phone to make sure I "pick something" off the list at various points in the day.