How to set up WEP and Secure a Wireless Network?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LiquidSmile, Dec 10, 2004.

1. LiquidSmile

LiquidSmile I gotta go potty

I want to secure my Wireless Network from Access.
    I have :

Alcatel DSL Modem
    Lynksys BEFW11S4 802.11b Wireless Access Point Router
    Lynksys WSB 24 Wireless Signal Booster
    1 PC is Wired Straight from the Router
    1 PC in Basement has a PCI Card and Excellent Signal

Both have internet access, 1 Computer is running Windows XP and the other is running Windows ME. Some reason I cannot transfer files to each other, nor do they recognize each other on the network.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You basically log into the router (usually 192.168.1.1 for Linksys), leave the username blank and the default password is admin.

From there, there should be a wireless menu where you can setup a WEP code. It is just a passcode you type in and it will generate a key for you. You will need the key to obtain access to the wireless network.

You can also turn off broadcasting on the SSID and use MAC filtering to help.

3. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

one more thing left off that i would encourage is to limit the number of addresses it gives out (ie. i have 4 systems on my home network, so i limit DHCP to give out 4 addresses...all filtered by MAC address)...also look into WPA tho forhome networking its usually overkill

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WEP is not secure. Might as well not run anything (it's about that secure)

MAC filtering, disabling broadcast, etc, are the ways to secure a home network.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Every little bit helps. It's at least doing something if it is on...

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

WEP isn't secure, but it IS better than nothing. It won't prevent people intent on seeing your email from decoding your traffic, but it will prevent people from casually intercepting it unencoded.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

anyone sniffing packets on a wifi network isn't gonna care if it's encrypted or not. WEP only prevents the very casual looker, and the very casual looker has no way of viewing them, anyway. WEP really does nothing to keep people out.

8. Penguin Man

I still say it's better than nothing. Some recreational war-driver isn't going to go through the trouble of decrypting anything. It doesn't hurt anything to have it turned on anyway. If your choice is between WEP and no encryption, may as well turn on WEP. If you can use WPA, then use it. In any case, do all the other things you mentioned (MAC filtering, not broadcasting SSID, etc).

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, but war driving does not involve recording or otherwise decoding packets -- it is simply discovering, and mapping the location of access points in a geographic region. Most utilities for war driving (such as netstumbler) do not provide for viewing a packet -- encryted or not.

My point is that anyone capturing the content of a packet will not be deturred by WEP.

I am simply against WEP because I have seen soooo many problems directly caused by WEP, yet I do not see how it provides anything more than a false sense of security.

WPA is different, and by all means, use that.

10. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Sorry but going by your logic, WPA isn't secure either, it has been broken. So WPA is going to give you the same "false sense of security".

Also mac addresses can be spoofed easily so not that secure either.

For the everyday home user though. Disable your essid broadcast, use WEP, and enable mac filtering. With the abundance of wide open networks people aren't going to see you and if they can't see you they don't care.

And if you're really paranoid and do want the security. Build a portal instead.

11. Penguin Man

WPA takes a significant amount more effort to decode, it's not really worth anyone's time and effort to do it unless they're really serious about seeing what you're transmitting (in which case you probably shouldn't be using wireless anyway). Like you said, wireless is never entirely secure, but for the average home user, MAC filtering, WPA or WEP (if WEP is all you have) and turning off SSID broadcast is sufficient.

12. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

Question.. does changing the default channel for the AP make any difference? I read that in an article once when discussing WiFi security and it never made any sense. The WiFi cards just auto tune to the right channel anyway, right?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

changing the channel does nothing in terms of security -- but it can help with interference and signal quality.

14. mestizo

mestizo New Member

I use mac filtering. We have a wireless netgear and so do about 5 other people close enough for us to get a connection.

I still have horror stories from moving in of logging into their router unbeknowest to me or them and banning their mac addy from their own network... oops. For a while there I could get a 3mb band test on their connection... but they put up WEP/mac filtering a week later. =(