How to set-up a home network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AJP, May 30, 2005.

1. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

I did some searching and have not really found my answer. I have a destop and a laptop. I also have DSL and a linksys wireless router. The desktop is hard wired to the router and the laptop connects wirelessly. I currently have internet access on both comps just fine. Both computers run windows XP home SP2. The laptop has SP2 pre-installed, and the desktop I downloaded it (if that matters).

But I want to be able to print from my laptop (the printer is connected to the desktop)

Access files on my desktop from my laptop.

I am a very basic user so please if you are willing to help be easy with me. Thank you in advance for any and all help you can give me.

2. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

right click whatever you want shared and click 'sharing and security' and then follow the prompts to enable sharing. if you go to my network places on the other computer everything should show up that you shared.

3. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

start..control panel.. network connections.. set up a home or small office network.. easy as going through the wizard. any software firewalls might interfere.

to start sharing folders/files... right click folder.. properties..sharing... fill in the check mark to share folder

for printers.. go to laptop.... start..printers and faxes.... add new printer... select network printer and follow the wizard.

once they are shared go to "my network places" on desktp or start menu to see the shared files... when you try to print something from the laptop, it will show the desktop printer as the active printer(unless otherwise specified) and print to it.

4. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

they have to be in same workgroup though(which im not sure if there is a default standard one in windows or not) thats why i said to run the wizard and then do that......... nice bewbies btw.

5. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

Thanks jdog12, that worked perfectly. I can now access things on my desktop just fine, and printing works. Glad it was as easy as it was.

6. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

no prob