How to restart my usb?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

So I'm having an issue with my EyeTV Hybrid, and (long story short) I can usually fix it by unplugging/replugging the USB cable.

I'm wondering if there is some way that I can reset the computer's usb subsystem (like they do in Star Trek: TNG) so that I can get the effect of unplugging/replugging the device without getting off my ass and actually physically doing it.

I posted this in Mac Shack too because the computer in question is an iMac, but maybe some linux/unix/bsd person could tell me an answer that would translate to OS X.

2. nathanb

nathanb New Member

:bowdown::naughty:

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Find the USB controller in Device Manager (or whatever the Mac equivalent is), then disable it, then re-enable it.

I'm pretty sure the Enterprise-D runs on fiber cable, anyway. There was an episode where Picard and some kids had to escape from a busted turbolift by climbing out on a bundle of the stuff.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Dunno how the services are laid out in OSX, but for FreeBSD to restart the usb daemon it's:

/etc/rc.d/usbd stop;/etc/rc.d/usbd start

Note, I assume that your other peripherals are also usb so this may not be bright idea, but if everything is gracefully stopped and started, your keyboard should start working just fine after the daemon has restarted.

5. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

:roflwtf: