How to remove rust stains - quick help please!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by phatmonky, Jul 15, 2002.

1. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

Situation - I left my car parked underneath the apartment complex's covered parking. The roof structure (metal) was leaking. It leaked onto my car and left a rustspot along with a line, where the rusty water had run, on my white hood. I tried to get it off with just a rag, but no such luck.

thanks for any advice :sad2: This just happened from sitting there yesterday and last night. The sooner I can get and answer, the better. I figure it will only get worse the longer I leave it

2. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

20 minutes with Mothers Clear coat safe rubbing compound and I've barely started to remove any of it :sad2:

I need more suggestions :(

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Try using some polish (Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7), if that takes it off, be sure to wax over the area you just polished.

4. phatmonky

phatmonky Guest

Just talked to a detailing place - They said 50 bucks to fix it. Wet sand, buff, wax. Sound good?

For 50 bucks, I'll let someone else do it :o

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Sounds good. The wet sand will have a much better chance of taking it off than the "home remedies" we've been suggesting.

6. kraka

kraka Guest

You may wanna try some Bar Keeper's Friend. You can get it at the grocery store for like 2 bucks. It works great for removing rust from all kinds of stuff.