How to remove old window tint?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by firestarter810, Feb 2, 2008.

1. firestarter810

firestarter810 New Member

My truck has some crappy window tint from the PO. Specifically, the driver's and passenger window have a film that looks clear when its on the window, but is peeling in some spots and when it peels, it leaves a residue behind(kind of like a paper sticker does when you remove it). How do I go about removing all this? The tint shop wants an extra $150 to do it. Can I do this myself, or am I better off paying the professionals?

2. feetball

feetball New Member

1) Spray soapy water on the tint, then put a black plastic trashbag on it. (the water should hold it on with water tension),
    2) Do the same on the outside of the window.
    3) Park your vehicle where the window is facing the sun. (you'll need to do this in the summer when it's good and hot)
    4) Let it bake in the sun for a couple of hours.
    5) The tint should then come right off with light application of a razor edge.
    6) take pics
    7) post on OT
    8) profit

The sun heats up the water and the tint as this happens, the water will soak into the tint and start working on the adhesive. Once it's good and hot, the adhesive should be broken down enough to just scrape it off.

I've done this on several vehicles now and it works like a charm every time. Only problem is, you gotta have a hot sunny day to do it. Some have talked about using a heat gun, but I wouldn't trust heating the glass evenly with it, you could shatter it. A hairdryer probably wont heat it enough.

3. firestarter810

Thanks so much. I can live with having to wait til summer. I figure if your metheod works, I'll save $150. If not, I'm in no worse shape and can just pay them to remove it anyways.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Honestly, based on removing tint from an Eclipse that belonged to a customer, I'll pay the $150 if I ever need tint removed. Only one window came off easy, all the rest was in tiny little flakes. And this was in Texas in the summer with the car sitting in the full sun using the trash bag method. :sad2:

5. albuffit

albuffit New Member

its a lot of work if you do it yourself. go to a flea market that does tint and have them remove it for cheap.. dont get it tinted from them tho!

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

steam. honestly. the tinter at the shop i work at did my gf's windows and had to pull some old doo-doo tint off. he hit it with a steamer and it came off in one sheet.

7. firestarter810

Like at the dry cleaner's? Or the kind to remove wallpaper? Strangely enough I can get access to either of those. Do I still spray it with the soapy water?

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

[​IMG]

this is along the lines of what he used. no, no spray, just steamed.