SRS how to relax, always worry, lead to health problems.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by quamen, Nov 8, 2009.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

I want to try to keep this as short as possible, but i have a problem worrying to much. I am in my mid 20s and i seem to overly worry about this that maybe wont even happen. I have a big issue with worry about money, and like to have a certain amount in the bank. I have no real bills and say if i have 7 grand stashed away, i worry i am going to run out of money. I worry about what people think, I worry way to much that i seem to sweat and it effects my sleep. I had an ulcer when i was younger which might have been caused my nerves. I just cant seem to relax and always worry about predictions that could happen, but never seem to happen that are negative in many ways.

I workout, keep busy between working and other agenda, but i feel like my worrying is affecting to much of my life. The only time i dont seem to worry is when i am drinking and forget about everything, but then i worry i am going to become a alcoholic. This has stemmed from when i was about 12 or so, and really don't know how to control it. I am really against medications, i was trying to figure out how to calm myself down naturally.

2. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

You sound like you have GAD and it's really, really hard to get rid of it without meds because it's really hard to pinpoint a trigger or triggers. Trust me, I had it as well and an SNRI or SSRI can help while you go with other solutions. Then slowly ween yourself off it with the advice of the doc. The only way I got over it was something huge happening to me that puts things in perspective (Although I was working towards a solution via cognitive therapy and things like meditation).

But there isn't one thing anyone can tell you that will help you end it. It's going to take a lot of changes in your way of thinking to correct this. The meds can help you avoid things like negative thoughts and self doubt while you look for a more natural cure. Otherwise you might be trying to swim upstream.

If you must try something natural, and I don't guarantee anything, you can get 5-htp, which has roughly the same end result as an SSRI (SSRI's make sure you don't lose the serotonin you have and 5-htp actually increases serotonin), and combine that with Siberian Rhodiola (Or a rhodiola standardized to [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]3% Rosavins and 1% Salidrosides).

And if you aren't going to see a doc about meds in conjunction with some kind of therapy or meditation or something, then get a good book on worry that isn't new age bullshit but an actual plan to address your thinking like The Worry Cure. I was working on the advice in this book and it was helping a lot.

Good luck, GAD sucks a lot.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

3. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

You're a pessimist. Talk to someone about it. Find a psychologist (NOT a psychiatrist). They will help you ask questions about your life and identify why you do what you do.

Of course, with all psychologists, it may take a while before you find one that is a good fit for you, and of course this will cost money as well... which you have already expressed as part of your worry. This would be the first step in finding a solution (or a work around, whatever you are comfortable with).

Find something you love to do that doesn't interfere with some of the things you worry about. You said you work out, so I assume you have a membership to a gym: see if they have any sports there, or something of the like.

My biggest solution would be to talk to someone. You may have to get passed your worry about medication: it may help you get better faster. You never know, so do not throw any options out yet. I am the same way with worrying about medication (my father is a pharmacist, my uncle is a doctor, so medication has been around a lot).

Just take a step at a time, don't try to leap in: You won't know what's under you till you land.

4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

In for this Im the same way. I started Zoloft that has a anti-anxiety property but after 6 weeks the honeymoon stage is over. Im thinking about going to 100 mg to see if that works.

Also read the book called "The Worry Cure."

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Why would you say this?

6. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

A psychiatrist will talk to you, and then prescribe a medication to fit your needs. A psychologist will talk and listen to you, then send you to a psychiatrist if he/she feels you need medication.