How To Reboot

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Divided Sky, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Divided Sky

Divided Sky New Member

I'm gonna reboot my comp. How do I go about erasing everything? I have a Windows XP Upgrade CD and thats about it. So if anyone is feeling generous, please list the steps?

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you mean reformat your machine.

So you don't have a full installation CD for any operating system?

3. ancientpc

ancientpc Guest

I'm not sure what the difference between the upgrade and regular CD outside of requiring you to insert a previous Windows OS CD during installation (to verify you are indeed upgrading, but don't like dirty installations).

If so, boot off your CD and delete / recreate the partition using the WinXP setup. This will effectively erase your hdd and the easiest method.

4. Divided Sky

Divided Sky New Member

Yeah sorry, I meant reformat. well the cd to the left is the cd my comp came with, im guessing it can be used for the base Os, and i can just install xp after installing the blue disc?

[​IMG]

So my question is how do I reformat my computer, Im not familiar with DOS.

5. Divided Sky

Divided Sky New Member

if someone could point me to a site if they dont feel like typing out how, id appreciate that too.

6. ancientpc

ancientpc Guest

Installing the old OS and then upgrading is called a dirty install, and it's a no-no because it just generally causes problems.

When you boot up your Dell computer, there's a button (I think it's F1) that let's you go into BIOS / setup. Look around on the screen in the corners when you see the Dell logo upon bootup, it should be located somewhere.

Once in BIOS, change the boot order to CD-rom first, exit and save changes. You should then get a prompt that says, "Press any key to boot from CD-rom", and afterwards the installation should be pretty self explanatory.

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

He'll still be forced to upgrade from ME if the XP CD is upgrade only. Forcing BIOS to go to the CD first won't change the fact that's its only an upgrade only CD.

If he wants XP, he'll either need to do the upgrade from ME or get the full install CD.

8. Divided Sky

Divided Sky New Member

yeah, so after i format my drive ill install me, then install xp. but for now, do i put my ME cd in, then tell it to format my drive?

9. ancientpc

ancientpc Guest

It may have changed, I'm not sure. When I clean installed with my Win98 Upgrade CD, during the install it asked me to put in an older WinOS CD, which I did, and then proceeded to do a clean install as normal.

10. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

1. boot to the Win ME CD - you should see something like "press any key to boot from CD" during your computer's start-up

2. windows setup should start and should give you the option of formating your disk (it will might recommend that you dont format but you need to format)

3. follow the directions during the install

4. once ME is installed, you should be able to put in the XP disk and that will launch XP setup - follow the directions and you should be completely done in a couple of hours

DO NOT forget to run windows update when you are done w/XP - there are a lot of security holes that will need to be filled.

11. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:eek: try this first ^^^

boot to the WinXP disk and if it lets you install XP directly while just showing it that you have an older version of windows then do so - it should be better than my way. If it doesn't let you install XP w/o installing ME then you will have to do that first.

12. ancientpc

ancientpc Guest

Tell us if that works or not with the WinXP upgrade CD, I've only tried it with Win98 upgrade CD.

13. Supadoggie

Supadoggie I ♥ my doggah

14. how do i do it without the disk?