how to quiet my PC down

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tommyortom, Sep 30, 2004.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

compared to some other computers, i find mine to be somewhat louder, but its still quiet enough ....most the main noise i think comes from the power supply fan...as im almost sure thats the only big fan i have, then 2 little ones from my 2 video cards....my maxtor HD is louder when its being used compared to my western digital HD that is almost silent...im going to take out the fans and blow compressed air onto them, then see if i can oil them a little...any more advice?

i was also thinking of dynamating my tower cover, but that may trap in unwanted heat so im not going to do that

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they make quieter cases. The Antec Sonata and Lian Li 6070 are two examples.

You didn't mention any specs of your system... What chip are you using? If it's a Socket 478 or Socket 754 then I would get a Zalman all-copper CPU cooler. They are extremely quiet, and will keep temps down.

You can try some WD-40 or TriFlow w/Teflon on the fans -- that may quiet down a noisy fan. Otherwise get some new "silent" fans. Twin+ ball bearing fans are far superior to slip-sleeve fans. Enermax and TurboCool are some examples of quiet-fan manufacturers. ThermalTake is one of the louder manufacturers.

I own a computer shop, so I see a lot of different systems that clients consider "too loud". 95% of the time, installing a Zalman CPU cooler solves the problem to their satisfaction. In extreme cases, swapping to a new case (my favorite being the Lian Li V2000, but the 6070 is more cost-effective) makes them happy.

3. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

hey thanks for all that info...im not sure what i have exactly off the top of my head, im not a HUGE computer nerd, but i know a good share.....what about loud hard drives? i couldnt think of anything that could be done for them....my oud one with is the maxtor is pretty old though, ive had it since i was using napster to d/l music haha

4. Grifter

Grifter Silver Member

antec makes quiet cases
    i also have a antec true 430 psu thats pretty quiet and zalman cpu and video card coolers

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

as for harddrives, there isn't too much you can do to quiet them down... Getting a "quiet" case, such as the Antec Sonata or Lian Li 6070 will help signifigantly, however. The Antec Sonata uses rubber grommits to isolate the drive from the chassis. You will still hear the clicking of the drives (maxtors are infamous for this), but it will be dampened slightly. The Lian Li 6070 is the better case, imho. It doesn't use rubber grommits, but instead has super-thick aluminum construction and comes pre-assembled with dynamat padding throughout. The combination of thick construction and sound-deadening make this an extremely quiet case -- it even virtually eliminates the clicking of maxtor drives. I think the Lian Li is the better choice -- but it's also $50 more and doesn't have a power supply. I recommend the Enermax Whisper power supplys. I've seen my fair share of Antecs go bad, but an Enermax going bad is rare. They are surpased only by Sparkle -- which is the ultimate power supply, imho.

6. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

should i dynamat my own case? im worried that it will block heat transfer and will keep too much warm air in my case

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

assuming you do not block any air vents, you could dynamat your case.