MIL How to put service on resume

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fintheman, Apr 8, 2006.

1. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

I had about 2 years in and I was released due to the medical shit that went on in the Air Force.

I went through

Basic

Then Tech School

I was in Electronics School for about 3 months
    Then 2E2 School for 5 Months

Went through 10 blocks in 2E2 which dealt with everything IT from setting up domain servers, admin work, subnetting, networking, ATMs...etc., I think I'll try to get a transcript from school for it.

Then for my job (1 year 2 months) I was a SACCS Tech. I monitored network connections / making sure they were active and up / monitoring the firewall / incoming connections, some win2k server admin, helped setup the wireless networks on base and secure them. Also went through advanced soldering classes and all the other good stuff we all have at bases (cpr, training, daily crap, trunk monitor, tool monitor, blah blah)

I am just clueless how to put this in a resume in a simple format.

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

United States Air Force
    Month, Year - Honorably Discharged Month, Year

Short paragraph regarding training with USAF and job capacity

- list of tech skills acquired

That's all you need

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

:rofl: Maybe if you want a shitty resume. There are multiple things wrong with your advice. For starters you would never mix bullets and paragraphs in a resume. A hybrid format is similar to what you suggested but the sequence is different. My advice is spend the $200 a find a local resume writer. Ask to look at some previous resumes they have written, and ask specifically if they have written resumes for military transitioning to the civilian sector.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  4. kidhero

right, because obviously he should send out a CV and fill it up with how awesome his air force life was. oh, wait he just needs a resume:

http://jobsearchtech.about.com/careers/jobsearchtech/library/weekly/aa_resume_template_3.htm

$200 is so worthwhile even if you expense it :rolleyes:

5. brackac

Why am I argueing with two dumbass jarheads again? Fin take their advice and get you a job at McDonalds. I will keep the experience that landed me a job as a Network Engineer with the second largest telecommunications company in the world to myself. Might want to ask them what type of jobs they have had.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  6. radhaz

radhaz New Member

If you're too cheap to shell out the cash you can always go to your local TAP class and get points of contact who will help you with your cv/resume

7. fintheman

I found an IT recruiter who is a pretty cute chick to boot to help me last night at a party :) Gonna try to get me for a Wireless Network Engineer gig! w00t

8. kidhero

i'm a product and FAE manager in control of almost every aspect of launching a product that has 5 million dollars invested at a tech start up sourcing for four of the biggest wireless network equipment makers.

i gave him the basic layout of his resume, it was a hybrid resume and it was valid. i also found it pointless to spend $200 on a resume because quite frankly if his work experience has been shit to begin with no amount of editing is going to make it good.

but i'm sorry, being a dumbass jarhard precludes me from giving advice because apparently what i said was wrong when it wasn't.

9. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Didn't you work at worldcom?

10. brackac

How about you throw a company name out there.

11. brackac

Yes I worked for Worldcom as a Network Engineer, turned down a job with Alcatel and Cisco, and worked as a headhunter in the telecomm industry doing the job of sifting through resumes.

12. kidhero

i work for reddot wireless, we're a fabless semiconductor design company specializing in wimax/wifi integration. i work with teams from dlink, inked the manufacturing and distribution deal recently, and freescale developing their wimax products. also working with netgear and various taiwanese ODMs.

i can't say that my military service is what landed me the job but i can still tell you i know how to write a resume and my opinion is that what i said was correct and that spending $200 or so isn't necessary to land you a job.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  13. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

You would make back the few hundred bucks spent on a professional resume within a couple months easily, in comparison to what you might get with one you type up in notepad.

Or at least that's the point. Not too mention a better resume could also get you more cash for the same position. Pretty damn cost effective if you ask me.

14. fintheman

kid, what city are you located?

Freaking Nashville doesn't have shit for jobs in IT.

At least Nissan is coming into town