how to power 5" LCD screen

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tommyortom, Nov 2, 2003.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

my friend gave me his 5" lcd screen..im gonna mount it somwhere....how do i power it though? it has a little wire with a female plug on it ....i need to know what i have to buy and can i just tap power out of the fuse box or something ?

2. SPECulator

SPECulator Guest

yes, power can be taken from any 12V source, avoid the cig. lighter if you can thats "dirty" power. Tap the fuse box in an ACC. slot. The only other connection should be video signal which comes out of the screen or to a converter type box, but that should be pretty straight forward

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2003
  3. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

ok...where do i get the plug that connnects to the power wire comming from the screen?

4. SPECulator

SPECulator Guest

not sure if I follow you there... Your screen should have a power cable either hardwired to its board or else in the form of an adapter that plugs into the board, either way it should be a 12V negative ground system, which will give you two bare wire ends. The one with the stripe is most likely POS-Power and the other will be NEG-Ground. Ground the NEG wire to any solid metal part of your car, then either splice into a line to the fuse panel, or take the easy way out and strip the POS wire back an inch or so and smash it under the actual fuse, both will work. <-- thus power is delivered to screen.

currently im running a 5inch TFT LCD, dvd player, touch screen deck, 2 12's, a 10', 2 amps, 4 midrange, 2 tweets, a 10' neon tube, and a PSOne, i had to run an additional fuse box to accomodate for all this (not hard to d if you choose this route as well) might have some pics somewhere if interested.

hope this helps

PS- ive never heard of a female plug coming from the device (youre not in europe are you?) if its like a cigarette lighter adapter or such, just lop that off and you'll have the two above mentioned wires.