How to make Windows see SATA drive as removable?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Jun 1, 2007.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I have a SATA drive in an external case. When I hotplug it, Windows doesn't see it until I go to device manager and have it scan for hardware changes. It the detects it, but it shows as a fixed disk, not a removable disk. Is there a way (registry edit?) to tell Windows that this specific hard drive is a removable drive so I can stop it before disconnecting? I checked the Properties..Policies tab on the drive and write caching is disabled but I'm still afraid Windows will find some way to corrupt it if I disconnect it unexpectedly.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Disabling Write Caching is important, but do you have the option to Optimize for Quick Removal as well?

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Greyed out.

4. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

This is up to the driver. What SATA controller do you use? I know Intel's AHCI/RAID driver support hot plugging if it is enabled in the BIOS.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I have an Intel DG965WH motherboard. In the BIOS, I have SATA set to RAID mode (as opposed to IDE or AHCI). ATA/IDE mode is set to Native. I didn't see an option in the BIOS that said anything about hot-plugging enable/disable. Will hotplugging work in RAID mode or does it need to be AHCI? I have it set to RAID because I'm using it to mirror a pair of 500GB drives.

6. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

If you're using RAID1, you should not need to worry about treating the drive as a removable drive. When you remove the drive from the array, it will degrade the volume, and you will need to rebuild the array when you plug it back in anyways.

If you're talking about a non-RAID disk on the same controller, then you'll want to make sure you're not accessing the disk when you remove it. Does the IMSM Storage Console automatically remove the drive when you hotplug it? Some motherboards don't add support for hotplugging in the BIOS (I'm not sure why). You might want to try upgrading your BIOS / RAID driver.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

This motherboard has 6 SATA ports and I'm using 5 of them (including the external drive connected through an eSATA adapter). Only two of the drives are part of a mirror (raid1) set. The rest are jbod.

When I remove the eSATA drive from the system, it does go away in Disk Management and My Computer but its not immediate. I was actually able to browse its contents in My Computer after physically removing it. I went to bed not knowing if Windows would freak out in the middle of the night but all was well the next morning. So I don't know exactly how long it took to recognize the drive had been removed.