WEB How to make money on my site

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Naturally Baked, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

I own a vbulletin forum with about 650 members,

1911 Unique Visits last month
    180873 pages
    1108623 hits

how much money can I make and what would be the best way to do so? Right now for non-members I have adsense but I havent made much money from that (its just 1 bar of 3 ads)

Ive sold about 1000 dollars in advertising accounts ( they register and sell stuff to users directly with their own forum category)...but other than that i havent had much of an income from the site

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. Ashantis Sideburns

Ashantis Sideburns New Member

Why not have AdSense for all users? It's not obnoxious, plus your regular guests would probably click every so often just as a thank you.

3. Ashantis Sideburns

Ashantis Sideburns New Member

4. Nakon

Nakon Guest

don't do paid stickies.

5. VD

VD Active Member

adsense really doesn't do well on forums because anyone who is coming to your forum to read, doesn't feel like clicking around and browsing other sites.

Think about how often you click the ads on OT. It's a lot different than when you're searching for something on google, find one site that links to another, that links to something else, etc.

6. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

What niche is the forum?

The most obvious would be to add paid upgrades. It's one of the easiest ways to make really decent passive income with a forum if you have the right niche and as long as you offer something worthwhile for the upgrade.

Adding targeted affiliate ads may work really well too. Maybe auctionads for your niche?

I would personally work on building up traffic and getting the users more active as well. 1900 uniques a month doesn't sound very busy for 650 members. So maybe finding some companies/sites that have products or services related to your niche and asking them to sponsor a contest or giveaway for your site and then mass mailing all your members about it would help get the ones you have back and active then have some kind of referral bonus to get people to mention the contest elsewhere.

I saw a (paid) review for this ebook on johncow (review here): http://www.kchut.com/eBooks/eb1/forum-entrepreneurs-guide.php

No idea if it is worth it though or just another crappy ebook lol.

7. wyrmblight

wyrmblight Tá m'árthach foluaineach lán d'eascanna OT Supporter

I don't do too bad on my forums. 4k+ from adsense a month alone. But it takes a bit of traffic.

"upgrading accounts" like here pulls in some money too. Extra PM space, avatars, less ads/no ads type of things.

I've had decent luck converting links to affiliate links. I have used one for ebay and amazon. I think I will have better luck when I get one for newegg made as we link there often.

How well you can monetize and what you can do depends on the niche. What works for a computer site may not work for a pets site.

8. VD

VD Active Member

or a forum about nothing, like mine. :o

9. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

sorry for late reply...

Yeah, im going to do paid subscriptions...Its a automotive forum...I have sponsors for the forums but not really getting any income off them

10. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

If you use PHPBB, what time do you edit to add the adsense codes in?

I guess the general question is, which file do you edit to add in little small links and such as well?

11. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Check out www.auctionads.com and the auction ads rewrite code for vBulletin. Put the ads after the Google ads, and make different programs for each advertisement so you can track their progress. I was doing that on my old site - rs25.com - prior to selling it.

To get traffic you have to have a niche market, manage the site well, participate, and do the paid upgrades programs. I started out with not allowing anyone to have anything (practically) and then slowly had upgrade programs. There's a lot to discuss, but one thing that was HUGE for my site was the buying and selling aspect. Let people post their stuff for sale, get it on the home page, and let vendors advertise there too.

If I were you, I would look into photopost classifieds, get them on the home page for users, and then have it customized for vendors to post in the middle of the home page.

PM me your site URL and I'd be happy to take a quick look at it.