A&P How to make Money at Photography?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ekliptix, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

2. redna

redna New Member

istockphoto.om maybe?

you'll never make any money without marketing your work though. i would suggest making a portfolio site and some business cards and start marketing yourself.

you'll find you will generally make more money doing contract work then you will selling photos. jmo

3. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

There's a book in the photo section of Barnes and nobles that lists a thousand places to sell your photos.

4. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

probably asked before, but what camera did you use in those pics?

5. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

Panasonic DMC-LC5

6. symptic

symptic I run companies

if you have a Dark Room to use, or one of your own, process your own pics and frame them to sell at art shows and stuff around your town. That's how you make a suitable amount. Best way is to display your stuff during a gallery, and put a nice tag on each. ;) Though you have to prove yourself worthy of occupying the gallery's walls tosell the pieces then.

I'll ask my sister how to make money, she's majoring in Photo-Journalism.

7. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

i think im going to start putting on exhibitions at my school's art center, hopefully ill sell some pictures through that.

where can i get cheap beautiful frames?

:hs:

im also starting a shirt company with a friend of mine

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

If you really want to make money in photography you have to commit to it as a career. Commercial photography is a good business but it requires a lot of money up front. I've been a professional photographer in one form or another for over 30 years. I switched to cinematography early in my career but I've always loved photography. I've never owned my own studio but that wasn't my goal. I've worked in a studio as a commercial photographer/cinematographer, I've worked for a newspaper as a photojournalist, I've been a tv news cameraman and for the past 15 years, I've been a tv/video producer/director. During the past 30 years, I've done a little freelance work and sold some prints, but the real money comes from taking photos or making videos for clients. BTW, you've got some nice work but unless somebody really wants a shot of a bug you're going to have a hard time selling your work. My favorite photo of yours is the flowers on the wall. You might be able to sell that to a greeting card company.

9. symptic

symptic I run companies

fade, Target always has good frames.

10. Ardore

Ardore Guest

The Photographer's Market 2004 (should be out now) I've had a professional photographer tell me about this one as well as numerous photography magazines. Outdoor Photograher has alot of helpful tips too.

11. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

it's tough... but if you want to sell to stock photo places, you'll get a little money...

working for a paper is hard.. i shot a few shots for a local paper a while back but i was only contracted because i had interned and met alot of the people there so when i tried to start out they offered me a line...

contracting to do commercial work (weddings mainly) is hard, but if you can land gigs, you can make some good money...

not really related, kind of related since i did techinally make 60 bucks, but one of my pieces last year, was a piece where i took photos of sculptures made out of trash and negociated with a resturant in newport to hang them on their walls wiht price tags, and if anyone purchased them, the resturant would get a cut...

i actually sold 2 prints for 50 each, which was suprising because they were basically documentation of my sculptures and the reason for putting them up was not to sell but to place these images of complete junk inside this uppity resturant frequented by upperclass white folk who would get all angry if i put any of my sculptures in areas near where they lived... yet there they are trying to 'appreciate art'

(alot of my own work has been about consumer eliteism)

12. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback

13. piper

piper Guest

quite impressive stuff u have there
    id do as already suggested - put on exhibitions in your area...

piper

14. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

FYI if you sell photos at any kind of show, matt them first... it is just the law 90% of the time... it makes them loook more "pro"

15. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

16. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I think he means to mount them on matt board, angle cut with a border around the print. Then mount the print and matt board in a frame.

17. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

matte=gluing to fancy cardboard.