SRS How to make female friends?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Laurel, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I'm 23, female, a homeowner, engaged, and generally tend to gravitate towards "guy" hobbies, I brew beer, like to shoot, know my way around an engine, etc. I also love to cook and garden. When I graduated from highschool and moved away from my hometown, I never bothered to make female friends as I've always found that I have more in common with guys. At this point, I'd like to make some female friends, but don't know how to. I also don't think that many people in my age range tend to be where I'm at in terms of having a house and this type of relationship, I don't really like clubbing or going out to hip spots, I'd much rather head down to the local english pub for trivia.

Any tips, tricks, or advise in this respect? I'm friendly and easy to get along with/love to entertain, but have trouble meeting people.

2. gkremian

gkremian New Member

Research local clubs in your area, or things you might enjoy like cooking classes. Strike up conversations while you're there and with the right impression you'll end up with some new friends.

3. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Yeah it's harder to make female friends because you can't just show them your tits and have them gravitate to you. Try acting girly. And compliment their clothes. And talk shit about other women behind their back.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to give advice as I have no female friends. I only have a gf who also has no female friends :/. She's just scared of being judged by other women though.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I would try for women in their late 20s/early 30s b/c most women your age are still whoring it up :mamoru: Aren't there sites out there kinda like dating sites but just for meeting new people?

5. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Hahaha, I was thinking about that. I don't think that most women have trouble meeting women friends though, I guess it's kinda unlikely to find someone via the internet. Late 20's, early 30's is fine, I just don't want to be hanging out solely with 50 year olds.

6. Spats

Spats Guest

theres a thought!

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

women are caddy they form their clicks and its hard to infiltrate the circle of friends :hs:

8. ReFreshing

ReFreshing OT Supporter

wow you sound like a perfect wife...

but are there no women at the pubs that u regularly see? what kind of female friends are you looking for, ones that share the same interests or ones that are just... girly?

9. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

I haven't made any female friends since graduating college and a few have drifted away...so I have no advice...but let me know if you figure it out.

It seems like women seem to cling to their SOs (once they get in a serious relationship) and not want female companionship. :dunno:

10. Laurel

Laurel New Member

The demographic at the pub that we frequent is probably late 40's Microsoft people, not exactly the people who I'm looking for.

I'd love to find female friends that share the same interests, but find that unlikely. I'm not really looking for... girly friends, just someone that I can go out for a drink with occasionally and have over for dinner/bbqs occasionally that doesn't get offended or upset all the time.

11. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Catty. I don't want to come off as a prick but if you use it a lot then others might think you are weird for adding the d's. I'm really just trying to help, not be an ass.

For help meeting girls, you can do what guys do but you'll have much more success as you won't be picking them up and they'll be much more open.

Yoga or any fitness classes. Cooking class is fine as long as it's not a pro or serious course. Something like introduction to Indian food or how to make sushi 101.

Art classes are filled with women. If you like more hands-on guys stuff then gravitate towards a class like metal working or sculpting. You get to weld and do all sorts of cool stuff.

I'd look into volunteering. Far more females volunteer than males in my experience and in any city there are thousands of different types to choose from so you can pick women that have the same likes as you. You might want to try for habitat for humanity or teaching people how to cook at the Y.

What kind of beer do you brew and is it all grain (Not a kit)?

12. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Some of my female friends have totally different interests than me and we still work out.

As long as their interest don't involve me: carrying them home drunk, watching them make out with random dudes, cry, other idiotic things, etc...that's fine.

Same things go for dudes, I don't hang out with dudes who get drunk and act-a-fool.

13. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Well yeah if you have a guy to hang out with and fuck all the time then who needs to put up with chick shit? :mamoru:

14. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Hear hear for the girls who aren't overly girly. :)

Dunno what your area is like really, but some of the nicer restaurants around me have schnazzy sports bars in them. Maybe hit up a few spots & see if there are any chicks or couples around. Probably hard not to look like you're coming on to them, tho hahaa

I'm a chick, too, btw.

I do have some friends that aren't super girly, but I don't keep in nearly as close of touch as I'd like. It's easier when they're in relationships. Then when the guys get together it cues me in to go visit, too!

15. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

on the surface yes... until you realize you didn't want to marry a man :eek3:

16. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like me, maybe we...goddamn it why do you have to be engaged! :mad:

Seriously though, given that your interests aren't in-line with typical female interests, either you're going to have to deal with not having many female friends, or learn how to talk to girly-girls about stuff that interests them. I run into the same problem on a regular basis with guys, though my interests aren't so much "gender-inappropriate" as they are just plain old strange for most people.

Anyway, I doubt you're going to meet women looking to hang out with other women at bars -- that's where women go to find cheap sex.

Come to think of it, I don't know any single women who have "lots of female friends". This is probably because they're all competition at our age. (Why that same rule doesn't apply to guys, I have no idea.) I think if you want to have lots of female friends, you need to hurry up and get hitched so you can pop out a couple of babies and spend the next 20 years as a stay-at-home mom -- that's what the rest of the women you're looking for are doing.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Some of us are content for our SOs to merely be physically female. Feminine behavior makes me irrationally angry.

18. Libera

Libera New Member

We sound a lot alike, Laurel. I'm 22, a homeowner and have been married for two years. I'm not a typical 22 year old and I tend to get along with guys better than girls. I'm not very girly and I don't have girly hobbies, so it is hard to make female friends. If your fiance has any guy friends with SO's, you could try hanging out with them. My husband has a married friend and I get along well with his wife. Usually, when the two of them plan on hanging out, all four of us get together. She isn't really girly or catty though, so I guess that's why it works. However, we aren't very close at all.
    Another suggestion is to look into a women's gun club. I think you would find some like minded women members. Here's a link to the state chapter listing for Second Amendment Sisters Inc. http://www.2asisters.net/

19. Laurel

Laurel New Member

:rofl:

My fiance's only friend who's capable of keeping girls around for any period of time tends to have strange taste or cheat on his girlfriends. I made friends with one of them and then they broke up and it was super awkward. His current GF (who he's pretty serious with) is fine but super girly, she just learned how to mow the lawn 2 months ago. She's 28. We get along fine and we all usually hang out together when the guys get together, but she's not someone I'd be interested in hanging out with outside of that type of environment.

I guess I just need to get used to the idea of not having girl friends. I had a mini meltdown "I Love You Man" style, realizing that I'm not going to have a maid of honor for my wedding. Not that it's really that big of a deal, I'm not doing a traditional wedding, but strange I suppose.

20. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

Hire a midget for your maid of honor.

We're having one for our officiant :hsugh:

21. Libera

Libera New Member

Or a guy friend, but you might want to call him something other than a maid of honor lol.

22. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

I think having female friends is healthy and fun. Locking yourself up in a house with your SO 24/7 is just weird...and I know some couples who are like that.

23. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:dunno: i wish i had more female friends. a lot of my close girl friends are scattered throughout the country. it sucks not being able to hang out as often as we used to.

i wouldn't consider myself extremely girly, but i do miss things i used to do when i had more close girlfriends that lived nearby.

reading this thread it seems as though i have had more close girl friends than many here on OT, and i honestly don't think i've had that many. regardless, though, life is ever changing. relationship[friendship] dynamics change all the time. i find myself losing girl friends i once thought were close, steady relationships only to create close friendships with girls that had been distant in the past. it's bound to happen when people decide they want different things in their lives. when your life path changes, people are bound to change.

having girl friends is a lot of fun. i couldn't imagine living without the ones i do have.