How to make a server...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ivegotboost, Jan 16, 2006.

1. ivegotboost

ivegotboost Member

Hi, Can someone give me a 'how to' create a server where i can host pictures and/or websites? I have an extra pc laying around and wanted to go through this to teach myself.

It doesnt have to be uber n00b level... Install Server 2000, IIS, etc type of deal.

:sadwavey:

2. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

I wouldnt mind knowing this as well

3. James Bond

James Bond Guest

yea, im trying to set up an FTP server, but i cannot get it to work i think my router has a buil in firewall or something?

4. MrMan

MrMan New Member

A server is just a software or service running on a PC. Usually, it accepts input from a network, and responds.

To answer bobby87, it may not work because you first connect to the router, and then the router does not know what to do with it from there. Meanwhile, your FTP server is still waiting for requests. Therefore you need to port forward packets going into your router to the proper FTP server. First, log into your router. Then see which computer is running the FTP server, something like 192.168.1.1 or so. Since you may have more than one computer connected to your router, you might see more than one entry, but just look for the proper computer name of the PC running the FTP server. So now you have the local IP address of the FTP server. Find "Port Forwarding" somewhere, enter the local IP address, and port 21 (which is the usual FTP port). Save your settings. Now, when a request for an FTP arrives, the router knows what to do with it, and sends it to your FTP server, which will then process the request.

Now to answer the original post, you first download the server program. What you want is a web server. Microsoft IIS comes with Windows 2000 and Windows XP Professional, but not WinXP Home. You can also download the apache web server from apache.org.
    http://httpd.apache.org/

I don't want to get into the details of how to configure and run, so I'll give a basic run-down. Most of it can be done reading the documentation or finding an Apache tutorial. So you download Apache and install it. Say you install it under C:\Apache. Once installed, the web server will start. If not, start it. Start->Programs->Start Apache or something similar. Now, when you open your browser, type http://localhost on your web address. The apache server information should appear. If you typed this when you did not have the server, or is not turned on (server not running), it will give a
    'page not exist' error. But if everything is done correctly, your server is now working. The default folder would be C:\Apache\htdocs (again, assuming we installed under C:\Apache. This means, anything under that folder will be on your webserver.
    Suppose I have the folder/file:
    C:\Apache\htdocs\testsite\index.html.

If I type http://localhost/testsite on my browser, the site should appear.
    Now, if you want to run your website from outside your computer, you need to know your IP address. I'm not sure what operating system you're running, but just go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/, and get your IP address on top.

So from outside your computer, you can access your web server by typing:
    http://(your ip address here)/testsite
    and it will work.

If you're behind a router like bobby87, you need to port forward. If so, read that paragraph above and instead of port 21 (for FTP server), you use port 80 (for web server).

5. ivegotboost

ivegotboost Member

thanks for your reply. I will try this and you may see a pm coming :)

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

just install linux and save yourself the headaches of securing a windows box. i would never think about running a windows server unless it was properly behind a pix firewall, and even better if it was in after a bastion host.

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

that will get hacked in no time

8. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I don't think a hacker will target his specific box.

Also, sometimes it's not the operating system that makes a system secure. Sometimes a server is only as secure as the software running it. Therefore, if Apache has a vulnerability, even if you're running on a Linux box, you're still vulnerable. Also, if you have knowledge in system administration for Linux, securing a Windows OS is not much harder. The main reason Linux is "secured" by default is because it makes you create a regular user, and not just the root (administrator) account when you install it. In Windows, the default account is the administrator. Therefore, should a server get compromised on Windows, they have administrator's access. If compromised on Linux, then only regular user privileges. Therefore, by creating a restricted user, that alone increases security tremendously. But most users still do not do that because they do not understand system administration.

9. CyberBullets

There are more then enough zombie boxes on the web that will try. I was getting 2000+ ssh attacks daily. My /etc/hosts.deny is now ALL:ALL and only the IP's I use to log in from (internal at 192.168.1.100-105), work IP, and school's cinderblock are permitted access to ssh through /etc/hosts.allow

Problems/exploits/vulnerabilities in Apache are repaired MUCH faster then Windows and their monthly rollout. Remember how long it took to fix the WMF problem? That was a HUGE exploit and it took forever. There wwas 3rd party software that was released right after the exploit. There is a reason why the Open Source Community is so strong and banded together.

That is half true. There is also a fuck load of services running behind the scene. I can disable EVERYTHING not needed on my linux box, but in Windows, if it has dependancies or embedded in the kernel, I cant.

If you know anything about Windows administration you rename your admin account and set a honey pot as well. If you use some what harder passwords or passphrases that are A-Z,a-z,0-9 and Symbols for the most part, it should be ok.

But as you said, most users don't know that, and that is why it's smarter to run linux since it takes care of that for you by default. it's standard for that.

just my 2 cents. And yes, I do administrate both a linux (2) and windows boxes (4) for a smaller company (75 employees, soon to add a 3rd dealership, Mitsubishi).

10. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

there was a post to bugtraq today saying this:

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

This is where open source shares a problem with Windows: users still need to be sure to install the damned updates. Too many people don't. That's what worries me when I see threads like this one: if a person doesn't even know what a web server is, can they really be expected to know how to properly secure it, no matter what the OS/web server is?

I'm not taking a dig at your post, just pointing out a common problem that often gets overlooked in here.

12. CyberBullets

that is true. i mean if that bubble alert that pops up to say "Hey moron, install these updates." doesn't help... then nothing will.